I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Bitsilly

I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

Post by Bitsilly »

Please excuse me in advance as I sit here crying into my beer.

Some of you may know that as part of my restoration of a 1960 850 I decided to make it electric.
The whole ethos of the electrification was that it be 100% reversible.

Well as some of you may know I have not updated the build post for a while. This is because I was having problems with the handling at full whack due to the fitting of an LSD which we are trying with different suspension settings but think the most original handling will be restored by removing it.
I managed to get cheap insurance and have been test driving it regularly and have been tweeking the geometry settings.

The bad news needs some introduction.

I filled in the changes to engine on the V5 declaring it as electric. This normally flags an inspection and did. The inspection took place and the inspector said that he represents the DVLA and he thinks the conversion is an excellent engineered thing and that there will be no issue whatsoever.

Let us just presume there are lots of issues! In this case the DVLA applies a points system, summarised here:

"A points system is used to determine what registration number your car will receive. You must qualify for at least eight of them on the DVLA’s parts list in order to keep the original registration number, and five of these must be awarded for having an unmodified chassis, monocoque or frame. Further points are awarded for having the original suspension at the front and back (two points), axles (two points), transmission (axles), steering assembly (two points) and engine (one point)."

Bearing in mind I score maximum points but lose one because the engine is gone, I thought there would be no problem. Ecoclassics have never had an issue before.

Today I finally get a letter from a Lee Davis at DVLA . Without giving me details he says that I drilled a hole in the chassis/monocoque, so my car no longer exists. He has allocated a new VIN and my car will get a Q plate AFTER and if it gets through an IVA.

Current identity and status are void, I cannot use the car, it is dead until I get the IVA and Q plate.

All because I have drilled a hole in the chassis/monocoque and so have 'modified' it.

I have e-mailed them to say if they specify the hole I am accused of drilling, I will weld it up! In the meantime, my car is worthless, unroadworthy. uninsured due to the change. And I am now having to find out about appealing, all because Lee Davis says I have drilled a hole!

I once got sent an invoice, by first class post, with a return stamped address envelope from the passport office. The invoice was for 4 pence. This is worse!
Pandora

Re: I think I just killed a 1960 850 Austin Mini

Post by Pandora »

I think that would set a VERY dangerous precedent for them to pursue. I think an appeal would be very likely to succeed when you tell them of the administrative burden they would be creating for themselves.......

After market sunroof? Have yourself a Q plate, and a plummet in value

Spot lamps? see above

Aftermarket wheels? As above but with a few weeks of purgatory for good measure.

And what hole? Do they know 1960 minis well enough to show it's a new hole?????

I can only imagine the frustration. Hope you get it sorted. They seem to quite often not know their own rules, and the problem is often that they employ people, civil servants, with absolutely NO basic knowledge about vehicles, just the administrative process. Not the individuals fault, so much as the department.

Al
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Cheers, and yes I have I think you have hit a nail head. No sense of humour is to be predicted , but this lark! I will be stressing that if this guy wants to insist on this then I will need him to stand up to his bosses questions and my solicitors ones to come. Following rules is OK but being totally ignorant of the desired outcome or the reason the rules were come up with in the first place, well that is his job and he is missing the point and failing the mission.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Challenge them to go onto any car sales website and find a car that doesn't have an additional hole. Even in concours cars, I doubt they have the knowledge year by year to do it

If I was you I'd speak to someone like the Association of Heritage Engineers, The Federation of Historic vehicle clubs etc to support your case early on. Give them motivation to bow out early and put it down to one man needing training.

Good luck!

Al
Smithmaps

Post by Smithmaps »

I don't see any Q plates when BMW do it?

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/a ... anguage=en

Might be useful as a discussion point with DVLA.
Kay1

Post by Kay1 »

Bureaucratic codswallop! I wish you all the very best in challenging this.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

I wonder how Vintage Voltage on Quest TV get on with this DVLA issue might be worth asking them .
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Thanks all.
If I am still alive in the morning I will examine ways of kicking poo, but I may not be!
wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

Our whole lives are ruled by people who don't understand real life. It's nuts.
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

I’m sure every Singer Porsche, Eagle E-Type and DB Mini has a perfectly original monocoque with no extra ‘holes’………not !