Tank Fitting Tips?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
haynes

Tank Fitting Tips?

Post by haynes »

Struggling to fit a right hand tank and have a few questions about the LH tank.

The old LH tank appears to have evidence of some thin foam for under the strap. I asssume I should replace this and also put some on the RH tank?

The RH tank fits perfect with the top bracket removed but not with the bracket in position, ie the neck is central to the hole, at the right angle and theres just about enough room to get to the strap bolt. I think the thickness of the bracket is pushing it forward just enough to mess the alignment up and theres no room to do the strap up. Any tips on lining it up and positioning the top bracket? Are there any other means of fine tuning the tanks position?

I assume the seam of the tank should rest squarely against the side of the 2 brackets?

Do both tanks just sit on their seams? Should there be any foam or other padding underneath or or the brackets?
AndyPen

Re: Tank Fitting Tips?

Post by AndyPen »

Yes some had strips of rubber for grip - I used offcuts from a garage flat roof repair but anything to add grip will help. Early cars also used a thin strip of cork I discovered.

I always fit and lock the top strap first and bend it upwards to clear the tank, I have a bent metal bar that use to fish it back up if needs be when I fit the tank. Likewise I use a very long screw to catch the two ends of the strap to tighten it up. I usually replace this as once it is all pulled into shape it’s much easier to fit the correct length one.

Lubricating the hole in the filler seal also helps, plus a smear on the filler itself.

Then it is all down to wriggling and patience.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

If you want a strip of 3mm neoprene x 1" or so wide for the the base and rear, just send me your address by pm.
Did both my tanks while tidying up the boot area and fitting ethanol resistant fuel hoses last year
No charge except for a jiffy bag and post
haynes

Post by haynes »

Hi Peter, fortunately I do have some 3mm neoprene style foam, we use it for work as insulation on air condition units but thanks for the kind offer.

So nothing goes under the tanks? Do they really just sit their whole weight full of petrol on the seam?
Oneball

Post by Oneball »

The tank sits on a metal strip. Should be one both sides of its twin tanks.
CA9B6D7E-B8C6-4BCA-8440-3B9C310BCE96.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Yes the seam should sit just outboard of the bracket, so it is supported on the underside, not on the seam. If you need a pic let me know as I must have one somewhere, but it is simply a mirror image of the one above ;-)
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Not sure about that one-ball!. There is no metal to metal contact at the base and rear of the tank. As others have already stated quite clearly and factually, the tank sits on a layer of 'something'. Such as bitumen strip, cork or suchlike......like neoprene. And it's not neoprene foam you need but a firm strip of something
Oneball

Post by Oneball »

Peter Laidler wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 am Not sure about that one-ball!. There is no metal to metal contact at the base and rear of the tank. As others have already stated quite clearly and factually, the tank sits on a layer of 'something'. Such as bitumen strip, cork or suchlike......like neoprene. And it's not neoprene foam you need but a firm strip of something
Haynes asked if the tank sits on the seam, I was answering that, as he asked twice and no one answered. Yes something between tank and bracket too. But the seam doesn’t take the tank’s weight.
haynes

Post by haynes »

Thanks for all your replies.

Upon closer inspection I can see that the body of the tank does sit on the bracket.