GoPro or pretend GoPro

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
timmy201

Re: GoPro or pretend GoPro

Post by timmy201 »

I’d say the most important thing is to buy the right grade memory card (which is designated as the “class”). If you buy a cheap one it’ll stop recording after short bursts and generally be crap

I bought an old go pro from a friend and it’s been reasonably good. I need to get a better mount that doesn’t rattle, and an external microphone would give better sound

Here’s an example of the quality
https://youtu.be/1cAQIn_BdY8
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

timmy201 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:38 am I’d say the most important thing is to buy the right grade memory card (which is designated as the “class”). If you buy a cheap one it’ll stop recording after short bursts and generally be crap
ditto, and slow to download etc.....check out the MB/s, something like 300MB/s is great 2MB/s not too good.......

They are classed for speed....just found this, might help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wantafaster1

Post by wantafaster1 »

Julian Harber

Post by Julian Harber »

Garmin has been superb for me the software is excellent for making the video's exactly how you want them and include what data you want - speed, braking, acceleration, lap times it is all there if you want it and the battery lasts really well- the only time I found battery life compermised was when using a `remote' switch which as was blue tooth activated and on all the time reduced the battery span - I now have the camera mounted on main hoop of roll cage and can reach the on/off which is very positive and easy to feel.
Surfblue put me on to the Garmin and I have been very pleased with it
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

A couple of good suggestions there.

I have ordered a wired remote as linked by wanna & will report back once it's installed.

Julian, Do you have a link or a name of the model you use?

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

mk1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 am A couple of good suggestions there.

I have ordered a wired remote as linked by wanna & will report back once it's installed.

M
that's good, I'd thought of buying one....I'll look at your first..bet you can still forget to switch it on though 😉
Up North in Sheffield
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I don't doubt that for a minute Nick.

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Richspec

Post by Richspec »

mk1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 am A couple of good suggestions there.

M
I have a wired remote for my older go pro's, I use it when the go pro is waaay over the other side and i then activate as required, you just have the 'one touch recording' on.
used it on here:
https://youtu.be/GBI5Rqy7jRU

just sits within reach but you could hard wire it into place with a more fixed go pro position.
Wanna see what I'm playing with? Youtube Channel
Caution ;) may contain 8 Ports, Xe's and VTec's, I don't do standard!
Julian Harber

Post by Julian Harber »

The GARMIN VIRB X is the camera I have which may not be still available as I managed to get the one I had very discounted as they had brought out the Virb XE Pro I think it was - but have a look around as the Virb range are super in the quality of the build, the amount of data you can add to the video and the free software package is easy to use and customise if you want.

I was very against having a camera thought it was ego based but after being pushed into it I can honesty say it is a great tool for learning how you drive (there are things you don't even know you do) and learning the tracks
beardylonodn

Post by beardylonodn »

these are good for getting a good angle, wrap it round the seat

https://joby.com/uk-en/gorillapod/
Richspec wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:42 pm I have some ancient Hero 2's and a newer 9.

Marks right, there's just so many features you really need to know how to drive them to get the best out of them i suppose.

Hardest bit in a mini is getting a decent camera position and recording good clear sound can make or break any footage, so look into wireless mic's clip on mics, directional etc etc.