Blockley Inner Tube Failure

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
111Robin

Re: Blockley Inner Tube Failure

Post by 111Robin »

Oneball wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:36 pm Have you checked for other holes in the tube? It might have damaged the valve as it went flat
I haven't, worth checking though.
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

111Robin wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 pm
timmy201 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:29 pm I’ve never had any luck with inner tubes. I also can’t see how having a deflated inner tube inside a tyre makes it any safer than not having one
The tube is fitted because the wheel doesn't have the additional profile that prevents the tyre from rolling off the rim and deflating during cornering. You can obviously choose to not fit a tube however I was advised to by Blockley when I bought the tyres.
I know they say that the rubber tube is to make up for the lack of safety bead, but in my experience I just can’t see how a comparatively thin inner tube is going to help. If you have a severe enough event to displace the bead of the tyre, will the tube be strong enough to help? This is the main reason I chose new Minispares 4.5” alloys
1380Rallykit

Post by 1380Rallykit »

They normally say to use a tube on older rims as without the safety bead the tyre can move of the bead seat which can lead to the tyre burping air or deflation at worse, the tube is used to keep the air in the tyre even if it moves. I have had tubeless tyres pull of a tubeless rim before on the rally car!
When i use wheels with out a bead i always use a tube as a safety measure.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

If you are going to continue with tubes check the valve holes in the rims do not have any sharp edges. Rounding the edges of the holes with a bit of grinding may help.
:?:
peasantslife

Post by peasantslife »

In my experience tyre slip is quite common in performance testing when fresh tyres have just been fitted i'll bet friction between tyre and tube is greater than tube to wheel. S o an enthusiastic drive home or a stab brake event can move a tyre an inch. So I think I'd ensure all the gorrilla snot applied to mount the tyre is entirely removed before seating the tyre, then I'd take out the valve insert and inflate and deflate the tube several times to ensure it is seating without strain. I suppose an obvious defect would be if the tube had been fitted the wrong way round?
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

1380Rallykit wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 pm They normally say to use a tube on older rims as without the safety bead the tyre can move of the bead seat which can lead to the tyre burping air or deflation at worse, the tube is used to keep the air in the tyre even if it moves. I have had tubeless tyres pull of a tubeless rim before on the rally car!
When i use wheels with out a bead i always use a tube as a safety measure.
Yes, this is why I used tubes on the D1s.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

surfblue63 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:12 pm If you are going to continue with tubes check the valve holes in the rims do not have any sharp edges. Rounding the edges of the holes with a bit of grinding may help.
I checked when the tyre was removed, no sharp edges. I've had no response at all from Blockley so I'll just have to put it down to "bad luck" and hope it doesn't happen again on the road.
andy1071

Post by andy1071 »

As Surfblue63 says, the valve hole shape is different between tube tyres and tubeless.

I suspect the edge of the hole has cut the valve stem.
-obviously the tube and stem can move, whereas the tubeless stem is held in the hole...

If the hole has cut the stem, then it will happen again, so is not just 'bad luck'.....
I would highly recommend you check this completely...

I'm sure the people from Blockley can advise the best / correct actions..
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

According to the Dunlop brochure the D1 can be used with tubed tyres although of course I understand your point.
Am I the only one on here using D1s with 145 tyres and inner tubes ?.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Have had two full sets of Tyres Fitted @ Blockley .. first set was on Rose Petals & they advise i fit Tubes .. said OK the plus being that i do like their Valve Stems & Caps ..had another full set of 145 Blockley these were fitted on new MS supplied 4.5S Rims (excellent product these repro " S" 4.5 Rims from MS ).. again Blockley suggested to fit tubes & i said no thanks.. I think the answer is If you are going to Corner your Tyres on the limit which may break the bead seal then probably best to fit Tubes .. Whatever no excuse if Blockley provide no support to Robin .. then best we do not give them any more custom :o