Blockley Inner Tube Failure

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
111Robin

Blockley Inner Tube Failure

Post by 111Robin »

I have Blockley 145/80s with inner tubes on my Cooper (on D1s) and found a front fully deflated the other day. On removing the tube I found the valve had parted company with the tube. These were fitted two years ago and probably only covered 500 miles since. I've sent an email to them about it. Has anyone else had any issues ?. Hopefully it's a one off and not a poor material/manufacturing issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Blockley Inner Tube Failure

Post by mk1 »

I am running my Blockley's tubeless & have had no issues at all.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I'm not doubting the tyres, only the tubes. I was told at the time that D1s should be used with tubes, I know not everyone does but that's what I chose to do. Maybe safer without the tubes if they're going to fail like this.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Yup, That is certainly worth a bit of investigation.

The only time I have ever seen that happen before was in a tractor tyre where the tube had consistently been run at low pressure.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I'll see what they say however I'm guessing they will say I've been running at the wrong pressure to cover themselves. It's never been run at anything other than 28psi.
Oneball

Post by Oneball »

Have you checked for other holes in the tube? It might have damaged the valve as it went flat
goff

Post by goff »

I bet they are made in CHINA for Blockley ,bought a tube for wheel barrow , same thing happened , on the motorbike Chinese inertube just split , back wheel , could have been fatal accident :o just going slow on a roundabout.
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Nothing to do with Blockley but I fitted a tube to a spare wheel with a period tyre and found it interesting that the design of a tubeless valve includes a seat for the rim but a tube valve doesn't. Does this mean the tube valves moves within the hole?
I'd be interested in hearing your views.
Cliff
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

I’ve never had any luck with inner tubes. I also can’t see how having a deflated inner tube inside a tyre makes it any safer than not having one
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

timmy201 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:29 pm I’ve never had any luck with inner tubes. I also can’t see how having a deflated inner tube inside a tyre makes it any safer than not having one
The tube is fitted because the wheel doesn't have the additional profile that prevents the tyre from rolling off the rim and deflating during cornering. You can obviously choose to not fit a tube however I was advised to by Blockley when I bought the tyres.