Timeing cover oil seal Q

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Polarsilver

Timeing cover oil seal Q

Post by Polarsilver »

Having a problem with the Timeing Cover Oil Seal its Leaking ..its new supplied along with the new Crank Pully both from our favourite supplier.. so its crank seal out again and i will check dimension of the Crank Pulley outer dia; of the shaft ref; the working surface to the Oil Seal.. my question is who supply the "Best" Timeing Cover Oil Seal as i seem to be suffering issues given this oil seal is new running on a new surface and fitted correctly. :?:
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Timeing cover oil seal Q

Post by mk1 »

I have not had any issues with these for many years. The trick is to make sure the pulley & seal are centred before tightening the bolts up. If you fit the cover then the pulley, the two can be misaligned allowing oil to leak out from the misaligned seal.

You can do this by fitting the gasket to the front plate, I use a bit of gasket goo (but NOT MUCH), then I goo the timing cover, just place it over the end of the crank & gently seat it on the gasket, then slide the pulley on, once that's all in position, I carefully fit all the bolts making sure I tighten them a bit at a time all around, like you would the nuts on a cylinder head. Once the cover is tightened up I remove the pulley, put a little Graphogen on the oil seal & then fit the pulley permanently.

Seems to work OK for me.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Agree with Mark, Norman (good to see you on Sunday too.....) The important bit is centralising the pulley within the seal fitted to the cover. If that means jiggling the cover to suit, then so be it.
Spider

Post by Spider »

There is (was) a tool for centering the seal to the crank. I made mine from an S Pulley;-

You can usually get good results though from using the Pulley as Mark has suggested.

Check too that the seal shaft on the pulley isn't grooved and grease between the lips on the seal.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

On Inspection of Timeing Cover Oil Seal.. you will be aware the inside of that Oil Seal has a back up spring .. that spring was just slack and not doing the job intended.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

mk1 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:45 pm Once the cover is tightened up I remove the pulley, put a little Graphogen on the oil seal & then fit the pulley permanently.

Seems to work OK for me.
So you find that Graphogen helps between the shaft and seal, presumably to lube the lip until oil gets there ?
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Yes, I reckon a smear of Graphogen help lubricate everything until oil makes it's way there.

I too have the tool, but the method above works fine.
Mark F
General dogsbody.