1962 Super What's the story?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
swifty

Re: 1962 Super What's the story?

Post by swifty »

I’ve got a super , glad I bought it now . Restoration is under way but keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue. As found pic . …. Really original but had the seats missing … ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
moita

Post by moita »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8128529 ... ?ref=share

This is the link for our super closed group (only for super owners).

You can also search for the group if the link fails for: Mini Super 1961-1962 register.

I will approve you Gordon :) you have a lovely one!
FCV.66

Post by FCV.66 »

This post has just been brought to my attention. Yes, I am still the Super registrar. COOPER TUNE from what you have said, it sounds as though your friend’s discovery is a Super. If he or you wish to PM me, I can confirm the car is a Super, also I may already have some details on it; if not, then I would at least have the factory records on it. Please do get in touch. Cheers, Garry.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Thanks for all the replies and info. After my friend determined he had not found a Cooper S he gave the motivated seller my cell #. Seems the car became a project some 10 years ago and is mostly in boxes. While I have not seen it in person I have 30 plus pictures. My friend restores BMW 2002s has completed two during the Covid19 mess and has three waiting as his new larger shop is being built. (I was floored to hear a new 4 car garage one story is $75,000 US on property he owns.) I believe him when he says the body was so good he hated it was not the S of his dreams. With seats, carpet and glass removed only rust appears to be the drivers footwell. US car LHD. I'll be cleaning out my PU truck today stocking with broken down carboard boxes, packing tape and 55 gallon trash bags. I'm pleased it's still a roller. I'll connect my trailer pack my ramps, tie downs and plan to pick up noon tomorrow. Due to job related relocation the seller upon learning he did not have a Cooper S lowered the price when he called me. His move must be complete this weekend and the car is the last issue. Once back at my shop I'll make contact. Again thanks. Steve (CTR)
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

After another a 400 mile round trip day I'm back with what appears to be a Super. Yes, the first chrome magic wand I have seen. The poor little girl has been so mistreated. Stickers and info from current past owner seem to confirm the car was raced in SCCA as a D/S at Road Atlanta. Story follows that it was shunted right front fender. Then it was poorly repaired repainted and sold as a street car. Next owner found out why people don't use single leading shoe brakes and hit his mail box post at end of driveway. That began a strip down for a restoration 10 years ago. I collected the roller and boxes yesterday. A little research looks like Feb of 62 build date. I need to get heritage cert on the way. It has been painted so many times I'm not sure what color it started as. I have found a couple areas may have been a pale blue. I will send a PM as soon as I unload and look for more info. Thanks for the replies and interest. Steve (CTR)
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

I have a smoke grey super I acquired over 25 years ago
I stripped out the really good seats and trim, stored it in the loft and it’s been there ever since
The rest of the car is in the back of the workshop behind some other cars
I’ll dig it out and take some photos
It needs a lot doing to the shell including floors
May even get round to starting work on it this year :lol: b
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

It's amazing how these things keep turning up!

My mum bought one in 1965 after seeing that her friend had one. But, when she had hers delivered, it wasn't anything like her friends car! She told the garage (in Farindon) that she wanted a super and they told her that it WAS a super......, in fact it was a super de-luxe! Alas, as far as my mum was concerned, her friends SUPER was better than her super de-luxe! Her NEW super de-luxe mini didn't even look as nice as her friends OLD SUPER mini. So much for de-luxe!
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

A new world of mini for me. I have read the Super is more rare and was in fact out fitted to a higher level as the Coopers and S? I have stooped working on others mins. I had selected three of my many projects to complete before closing the doors. Been selling off complete projects to make room and cash. Not sure this is a keeper project, seems a small sliver of mini history like my other projects deserves to live. Steve (CTR)
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

I fell in love with the first classic mini I saw. At 18 I bought my first mini as my third car and first love. As projects I have my first car 1930 A model coupe purchased in 1965. I have a 64 1071 S, 1965 LHD UK Moke, 1971 small bumper 911T. While I drove the A the last year of Jr High and all of High School it was not practical then nor would it be now. I have found a guy who restores them and wants a coupe for his collection.
I came very close after driving 200 miles with empty trailer, to walking away from the Super. It is just one more project than I need. The grille and interior were no longer with the car. I have tried very hard to vet the people buying my projects. One has been completed and two others are well on their way to former glory. The people willing to spend the money and do the work are not kids. I'm sure I'll figure this out. Steve (CTR)