1962 Super What's the story?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
CooperTune

Re: 1962 Super What's the story?

Post by CooperTune »

I'm not good with computers I tried to PM you. I don't think it worked.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Steve, cracking good find !
If you're struggling to get hold of Garry ping me a line - in this small but crazy old world I know both of you...
Metric is for people who can't do fractions.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Thanks Alex, I think I figured it out. I look forward to learning more about the car. I have been in contact with the seller and the owner before that. Neither had any idea it was other than a 850 mini. That's what I thought and why I pursued it as a shell donor. I was not looking for another project I needed a set of Mk1 doors, boot and bonnet as well as a sound shell. I have titles and the vin on badly crumpled shells good only for cut outs. I have managed to sell a couple bad shells for roof panels and undamaged sections. Shop rent doubled last spring and it is no longer practical to store bad shells. I'm selling my first car owned for 55 years ( not a mini ) just no room. Steve (CTR)
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Some of us are old enough to remember when the guys who introduced us to minis would wreck their Cooper S and buy a Super to reshell. That's where I find myself. For 15 years I have been collecting parts to restore my 1964 single tank Cooper S. The shell while mostly complete did a end over end flip off a over pass ramp to be collected by a tree about B pillar into the roof heavy. I have bought a 63, 65 and now a 62 searching for a shell. The 63 was a numbers matching 997 Cooper which is currently being restored. The 65 turned out to be a 998 Cooper with a competition log book now being rebuilt for the track. I had to contact owners back three to find someone who knew what the Super was. Seems over here they are just dolled up 850s with no power and bad brakes. This one is powered by a MG 1100. The chrome magic wand was among the spare parts. My plan has never been to fool anyone. Should I sell the 1071 it will include the wrecked shell and all parts that belong with it. I will apply for a heritage cert for the Super.

The other option is sell the 1071 as a project it was Almond green, RHD, none of which appeals to me. The Super on the other hand is LHD and may have been Surf Blue of Smoke gray both colors I'd rather. I have spare 1071 power units. I don't think a 1071 powered Super would demand the kind of money a correct S would. What to do, what to do? Steve (CTR)
coopersean

Post by coopersean »

Just my opinion - it would be a shame to lose either car by merging them. The Super is a very rare car, and sounds like it would be something you would like. There are less than 100 know left. The 1071 sounds like a perfect candidate for a new heritage shell, or an Owens Fabrication shell, using the remains of the original shell.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

At this time I have no time or space for another project. I'm having them hauled away as fast as I can find suitable homes for them. I'd like to get the Super off the trailer and up in the air. I'm not sure as feeling under doesn't tell much. I think it was undercoated. Was it applied early enough to protect it all these years or to cover something? One project left last Saturday another tomorrow. Steve (CTR)
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

I guess it doesn't matter what I do with the Super. Weather it continues to be a Super or becomes a Cooper S a body of this quality deserves the very best quality repair and restoration to correct color and spec. Should it end up with a 1071 power unit 7.5 disc and spaced drums it would be a special Super and I'd guess still a Super. Steve (CTR)
coopersean

Post by coopersean »

I agree - a 1071 engine swap into the Super would be great. As long as it retains the Super ID, then it is still a Super as you say. It has already had a replacement engine, so you are not impacting it's current originality.
sallan850

Post by sallan850 »

CooperTune wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:25 pm I guess it doesn't matter what I do with the Super. Weather it continues to be a Super or becomes a Cooper S a body of this quality deserves the very best quality repair and restoration to correct color and spec. Should it end up with a 1071 power unit 7.5 disc and spaced drums it would be a special Super and I'd guess still a Super. Steve (CTR)
Minis were modified all the time back in the day so having an upgraded engine in it would not be the wrost thing in the world, If it still had the other super features like the chrome magic wand gearstick and the Grille (if you can find one!!) it would still be a super.
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

Well, thanks to MK1 and this board I have taken the first step with the Super. I'm working with Graham to get a Super grille over here. I have had several contacts mention how hard that would be. Still working my way back though owners, I now know why the cheap home made roll bar. It seems it was raced till the cam seized in block and snapped. No hope of seeing that one again. I do use the AA / 1100 1128s to make magic wand trannys. I also like the 295 cyl heads for my 998 builds. Steve (CTR)