Fitting halda take off to speedo query

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
AndyPen

Fitting halda take off to speedo query

Post by AndyPen »

Hi all, just went to fit the 90 deg unit to the speedo and it didn’t tighten up properly. Had 2-3 mm play back and forth so looking at things, the square pin seems a bit long compared to the speedo cable when all tightening lugs are pulled forward.

Before I simply shorten the centre square section, has anyone come across this before? If so, what did you do? A spacer perhaps?

This is a new centre square pin in the halda btw, as had it all refurbished a while ago. An old and a new cable seen alongside it seems to confirm?

102D2285-4758-48F6-81E9-AF716118DEEC.jpeg
761F701A-341A-4D89-8DB8-6739D21A9B94.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitsilly

Re: Fitting halda take off to speedo query

Post by Bitsilly »

Just an observation, but the ‘sheath’ part around the longer middle square pin also looks longer, and same for the rearward facing male threaded part.
Is it the correct adaptor?
Even if it isn’t if the gearing is correct I would think it doesn’t matter, but it would be prudent to try a spacer first?
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Ps Speedy cables are currently rebuilding my 90 degree take off adapter. They seem to be difficult to find or expensive.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Bitsilly wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:51 pm Just an observation, but the ‘sheath’ part around the longer middle square pin also looks longer, and same for the rearward facing male threaded part.
Is it the correct adaptor?
Even if it isn’t if the gearing is correct I would think it doesn’t matter, but it would be prudent to try a spacer first?
Thanks and yes, the ridged screw on part is longer, but that bit is original and only the innards have been rebuilt. The cables have a nylon spacer at the end so a spacer will be my first check, and I have an old speedo to bring home to test it on. I also think the square section inner rod may be out of another car, or even new so will have to dig through my spares.

For some reason I thought it would just go on!!! Ha ha!!
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Ha ha ha ha, bless! 😂
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Bit of an update after checking against another one - yes, the pin is shorter, just in case anyone hits the same problem - the shorter pin does the trick ;-)

Unknown.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I just picked up my tripmaster and immediately had to think of your pin issue. What's the length of the right one please?
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Hi Toby, sorry just spotted your question. I'll measure one in the next few days when I go over to the garage.