Kidd in a Sweetshop - James Martin

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
kit of bits

Re: Kidd in a Sweetshop - James Martin

Post by kit of bits »

James did the MM in 2015 I think with Charley Boorman he drove very nicely, Jody was there as well she’s not my bag..
D
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

You won't get shot down by me Robin. No need for that bullet proof jacket so far
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

111Robin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:24 pmand very little actual knowledge of what he's buying........ I'll get my (bullet proof) coat. Harry Metcalfe is one of the exceptions I must add.
I thought exactly the same when he said he's never driven any of them before buying his cars. Hardly the arch enthusiast he appears to be?

I'm not saying he doesn't have some lovely cars, and I'm sure he enjoys them, but that just seems completely cold and uninvolved?

Each to their own though, and at least he seems to use them once he has bought them

Al
1ely

Post by 1ely »

It was the Mille Miglia in 2008 that did him no favours!
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Like expensive bottles of wine that are auctioned but never drunk, expensive celebrity classic car collections are often purely a sensible investment for tax reasons. ie. While property investments that are not your main home are liable to Capital Gains Tax on profits made when sold, classic cars are considered a wasting asset by HMRC and entirely exempt from capital gains tax, so any profits made when they are eventually sold are tax free....
harrymini

Post by harrymini »

Does anyone know how much the works car would have cost him at auction 16 years ago?
snowberrymini

Post by snowberrymini »

£67,500 all in and it was 2009:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17258/lot/345/
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Was it was 16 years ago when i was leaning on that ex Works (or whatever it is) Car in the Goodwood Auction Room .. what struck me at that time was how will James Martin ever drive that Mini given the size of his Big Feet :roll:
agricola

Post by agricola »

I was in a local Auto electrician who had done some work for him. He was telling me he normally wont open the bonnet on the minis in public as always somebody leans in draws breath and then holds forth on what is not correct!
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

He's very superficial about the cars, "not interested in sitting in a field talking about pistons", which is fair enough I suppose, not everyone is. I wasn't aware of the capital gains thing though, I dare say that has a lot to do with how he invests his money and if he focuses on ex works cars he can't really go wrong. Give me Jay Leno any day though, chalk and cheese.