SPAM applications

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
gazza82

Re: SPAM applications

Post by gazza82 »

I manage a car club forum and we've avoided some of the issues you face with a web-site application (not always posible granted) and we always put new users in the "Newly registered users" group which means we have to approve their first 5 or so posts.

facebook is worse! But there we try to avoid too many with a number of mandatory questions and also if they block access to their profile, they are 'dead meat'
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

The above are good suggestions, but me monitoring early posts by every new member is a non starter. I already spend a lot of time titting about with the forum & have a full time job & life to run as well.

The really hideous spam attacks are comparatively rare, but annoying when they happen. Thankfully, it looks like I have confounded them again, for the moment.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
winabbey

Post by winabbey »

mk1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pm The above are good suggestions, but me monitoring early posts by every new member is a non starter. I already spend a lot of time titting about with the forum & have a full time job & life to run as well.
What about sharing the load, Mark? Surely there's some trusted and knowledgeable members on here who can offer moderating duties to assist you, even if its just with the newly registered members process?
gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

winabbey wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:06 am
mk1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pm The above are good suggestions, but me monitoring early posts by every new member is a non starter. I already spend a lot of time titting about with the forum & have a full time job & life to run as well.
What about sharing the load, Mark? Surely there's some trusted and knowledgeable members on here who can offer moderating duties to assist you, even if its just with the newly registered members process?
There are two mods as well as Mk1 to keep an eye on new posts .. you can add more .. if you can get some more volunteers.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I already get a huge amount of help from the two moderators that help me & TBH I'd struggle without their input.

Things have thankfully settled down again, it looks like the most recent changes have worked their magic again.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Regards,

mark
Mark F
General dogsbody.