Hagerty making a meal of engine removal…

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
iain1967s

Re: Hagerty making a meal of engine removal…

Post by iain1967s »

This is the measurement of the reduced diameter nose that I cut off an ADO16 manifold when I converted it for my S. It’s significantly narrower at roughly 1-1/4” than my original S downpipe at 1-3/4” downpipe.

It’s possible they had two different sizes for ADO16 downpipe - a narrower for 1098 “MG1100” and a wider for 1275 “MG1300 and S” - using the same pressing for the manifold and just sliced it off higher up the tapered section, as side by side, there is no other difference I can see in the pressing other than the weld position for the nose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Here’s my original S on the left vs an ADO16 manifold that I welded a new section of downpipe onto.
The pressed manifold sections are identical above the tapered section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Thanks Iain, that picture confirms that it must be a cut down S one. Shame as it’s really good other than fact some muppet for whatever reason has cut the end off it !
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Usually they rot at the bottom curve of the downpipe, as it takes abuse from both internal corrosion and external exposure to road water/salt.

If the pressed manifold part is still good, just grind out the gas weld or slice through the tapered section just above it, and replace the downpipe with a new 1-3/4” tube.
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Back on topic…

Now he’s “rebuilding” the twin SU carbs -

https://youtu.be/mvmdqIVvD-M

but not checking for wear / replacing the choke tube, needle, butterfly or shaft bushings
Pete

Post by Pete »

That engine was pretty clean when he took it out! Recent rebuild? I’d have thought he’d compression test it before taking it out.
Justonemorebike

Post by Justonemorebike »

I have a manifold like that I took it of a Austin MG 1100 that was in the local scrap yard about 30 years ago.

Gosh he really did make a meal of taking that engine out. Glad I didn't watch that before doing my first mini engine would have put me off!
Justonemorebike

Post by Justonemorebike »

Pete wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 am That engine was pretty clean when he took it out! Recent rebuild? I’d have thought he’d compression test it before taking it out.
Yeah one of those rebuilds jet wash paint....good as new honest!
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

iain1967s wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:49 pm Back on topic…

Now he’s “rebuilding” the twin SU carbs -

https://youtu.be/mvmdqIVvD-M

but not checking for wear / replacing the choke tube, needle, butterfly or shaft bushings
The butterfly he put in looked a lot cleaner than the one he took out, maybe it was new and they didn't mention it? Or they polished it... I did notice there wasn't one in the kit they unpacked. Or a new spring in the dashpot either. I also don't care much for the look of the vapour blasted dashpot, give me the original but cleaned up finish any day of the week.
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »