Hagerty making a meal of engine removal…

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Lakeland997

Re: Hagerty making a meal of engine removal…

Post by Lakeland997 »

I was always under the impression that CAM bearings had to be reamed after fitting?
Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Many available now are made to be the right size once fitted, however may need a slight fettle if the cam doesn't turn nicely.
timmy201

Post by timmy201 »

Lakeland997 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:30 pm
GraemeC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:51 pm Looks like he didn't strip the diff before rebuild and not sure if there aren't some missing gaskets...

Never seen a plastic/nylon speedo take off before - or have I just had my eye's closed?
My 997 had the unusual nylon speedo take off.
Mine had one too. I don’t know if mine was a bit chewed up, but it fought the whole way on and off like a nylock nut
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Gearbox reassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tjt-IYQg2A

Not much detail, and he didn’t appear to check/set clearances on the forks, idler, diff pre-load etc.
Lakeland997

Post by Lakeland997 »

What are people's thoughts on measuring bearing clearances as he does, by micrometer checking the journals and bearing bores, as opposed to Plastigauge?

Andy
Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning.
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

Lakeland997 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:30 am What are people's thoughts on measuring bearing clearances as he does, by micrometer checking the journals and bearing bores, as opposed to Plastigauge?

Andy
Perhaps a proper bore micrometer (three anvils) would be more appropriate if you are going to use calibration's, smaller size inside micrometer's & spring bore gauges are not the easiest instruments to use.
mascher

Post by mascher »

Telescoping gauges take practice to get results to a high degree of precision. If you don't use them regularly it takes a lot of fiddling to get the measurement right. A ring gage is helpful for comparison and practice, still 0.0005" is hard to hold with one. A 3 point bore gauge is better but still takes practice. Just because you can read a number doesn't mean it's accurate. With Plastigauge you're relying on the manufacture's ability to hold tolerances in their product rather than your own ability to handle a gauge.

I can handle a telescoping gauge or a bore gauge fairly well but I don't do it very often so I don't trust myself. In addition when measuring big end clearance or mains clearance it's a comparison (by subtraction) of 2 measurements which increases the possibility of mismeasurement. For bearing clearances I like Plastigauge since it measures the clearance directly. I also never measure in just one place, but that's me.

Also keep in mind that these aren't watches they are internal combustion engines and all sorts of horrible things happen to them in daily use.

Kelley

PS Knurling valve guides when they can easily be replaced and reamed in a machine shop is just stupid.
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

“Don’t hang your brake calipers like this..”

Proceeds to hang brake calipers like that… :lol:
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

iain1967s wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:43 am Yes, definitely an ADO16 manifold, most likely off an Austin America.
Iain, would you say this is off an Austin America ? Thought it was a cut down S one but maybe not ???

1 3/4 bore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I would guess that is an S, the nose on the ADO16 manifolds that I’ve seen has a longer taper down to a reduced diameter so that it can form a slip joint inside a standard diameter downpipe - see attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by iain1967s on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.