UM/Downton MGB

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
ernie@1st-office.com

UM/Downton MGB

Post by ernie@1st-office.com »

Firstly thanks for accepting me on board. I have just acquired the UM/Downton MGB LLW 4K. This rectangular headlamp Stage 2 car appears to be unique and I wondered if any members can shed any light on it. UM/Downton MGC’s appear to proliferate but this B seems a lonely soul!! Help
mk1
Site Admin

Re: UM/Downton MGB

Post by mk1 »

The UM MGC's are very well known, but a B is a very rare little beast.

There is a bit of info on the Downton B's on the main MK1 site, but very little. Did a UM "B" have a Dpwnton engine conversion as well as body mods?

https://mk1-performance-conversions.co. ... tn_mgb.jpg

https://mk1-performance-conversions.co. ... _mgb-2.jpg

I'd love to see a pic or two of this rare little beast.

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
ernie@1st-office.com

Post by ernie@1st-office.com »

Yes. It has a Stage 2 (and still has its original engine and H6 carb set up) and was purported to go like hell!!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Very nice!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

MGB's are often much maligned, but a good standard one is decent enough and a mildly tweaked one is excellent. I once drove an Oselli modified 1972 Roadster and it was lovely to drive. It was a 1.9 on twin 1 3/4 SU's, head/cam/exhaust etc and about 125 bhp with tons of torque. It had some basic suspension mods as well - iirc, telescopic Konis, lowered a tad, single leaf rear springs and a Panhard rod. It handled like a dream.

BL could have incorporated all these mods.