Austin Cooper script

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Gary Schulz

Austin Cooper script

Post by Gary Schulz »

Are these original items and is it worth the cost to refinish them or does it makes sense to go with reproductions?
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg
They are in pretty decent condition with only a little pitting but refinishing is a bit costly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Austin Cooper script

Post by mk1 »

Yes, 100% original.

Personally, I'd just give them a good clean & use them. Some repros are OK, but 90% of the time the holes won't line up.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
SMOKE GREY

Post by SMOKE GREY »

i second Mark on this, cant beat original.
Gary Schulz

Post by Gary Schulz »

Thanks guys. I think I will try to clean them up and use them. I don't think the "S" I have is original however since it doesn't have similar markings...
cmiller

Post by cmiller »

The dead giveaway for original items is the J FRAY markings on them. To clean and remove tarnish I use 0000 steel wool. Works great but doesn't remove pitting of course. Mark is correct (as always) in that the repros just do not fit the original hole locations.

Chris Miller
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

Gary Schulz wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:53 pm Thanks guys. I think I will try to clean them up and use them. I don't think the "S" I have is original however since it doesn't have similar markings...

Don't think the little S are stamped up on originals 🤔
Up North in Sheffield
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

I’d agree Nick, I’m pretty sure the NOS in its packet one I found a few weeks ago isn’t stamped … will check later
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Minispares say their fixing positions are correct:-

"Chrome "Cooper" script boot badge as fitted to Mk1 Austin Cooper and Austin Cooper S models and later cars as an accessory by Rover. Requires two plastic fixing clips, part number GFK7514.
These have the correct fixing lug location of 87mm apart and were as supplied by us to Rover. Beware of copies with wrong pin locations and size."
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Some of the badges supplied by MS do have the correct hole centres, but NOT all.

I still think original is better than repro in this case though. NOS come up fairly frequently and are not usually outrageous price wise, these are probably worth waiting for.

A genuine Factory "S" is NOT marked, as has already been said.

Oh & sadly, I am very well aware that I am probably wrong more often than I am right :D
Mark F
General dogsbody.