Carcoon Query.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
tweedy998

Carcoon Query.

Post by tweedy998 »

Hi all, we're just about to put our 'Tweedy' away for the Winter. We've managed to find a fairly decent recently built space for storage, and was wondering about the extra benefits of putting the car in a Carcoon. Does anyone have any experience of them? I also wondered about putting an outdoor Carcoon inside for the extra protection particularly a more insulated basemat as the floor of the building is concrete, which I've heard can give off moisture, or would this be compete overkill?! Cheers, Ed.
1965 Tweed Grey Mk1 Morris Cooper 998
2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy 407/500
2010 Storm Grey Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup
Exminiman

Re: Carcoon Query.

Post by Exminiman »

tweedy998 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:18 am Hi all, we're just about to put our 'Tweedy' away for the Winter. We've managed to find a fairly decent recently built space for storage, and was wondering about the extra benefits of putting the car in a Carcoon. Does anyone have any experience of them? I also wondered about putting an outdoor Carcoon inside for the extra protection particularly a more insulated basemat as the floor of the building is concrete, which I've heard can give off moisture, or would this be compete overkill?! Cheers, Ed.
Unless the place is humidity controlled, i think its more to do with air flow. If there is not enough airflow around the car then the car seems to get more affected by corrosion….
Last edited by Exminiman on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I used them for years in a building with an earth floor and they definitely prevented dampness/corrosion. The only downside is the hassle of deflating/inflating if you want to get the car out but if you intend to leave it for the duration of the winter it's not an issue. I had problems with the zips failing but if you keep them clean it should be fine, I think mine were jammed full of grit from the floor and kept jamming then breaking when force was applied to free them. If I were getting one now I think I'd opt for the drive in type with the frame, a lot easier and more convenient than the collapsible ones.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

I have an "OutDoor" Carcoon in use now for about 9 years .. up to about 7 years of use it has performed as i expected without any issues .. the only thing it does not like is Snow which lays & pushes down the top cover .. just sweep off the snow & all returns to blown up as normal... i add weight in each 4 corners on the inside floor to help keep it stable .. do not know if its a need for these weights but works for me.. so in about 7 years on 365 use in service i noticed a small tear in outer Roof .. issue is the Material has started to loose its strength ..today the roof has more glue on patches than a spotty dog as i keep my Carcoon useable for just another year .. never been any issue with the blow up Fans .. yes i would buy another but am trying to downsize the fleet so ..
I did cost a new roof or even have it repaired by Carcoon .. it was not a cost effective solution ..
Yes an Outdoor Carcoon is a good ( long term) product .. that is if you have a semi low wind area to locate one.?
STG95F

Post by STG95F »

I have used one of these for 5 years and its been brilliant and its drive in/out type , no messing about waiting for it to inflate

https://airflow-uk.com/product/car-airchamber/
thefarmer

Post by thefarmer »

we've got 3 of them. 2 of the drive in/out type and 1 inflatable. Admittedly the inflatable one is a bit of a hassle, and the material does become a bit brittle and crack, plus the zip needed replacing (they sell spare parts). Our one has numerous bits of duct tape all over it for the cracks, and the thing keeps going! I'd say though that the benefits outweigh the downsides. The drive in/out versions...never had a problem...but they aren't exactly cheap.

It's good for blow drying your mini after giving it a wash as well!!!
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Had my second hand one in a damp concrete garage - definitely did the trick :-)
59fan

Post by 59fan »

Another vote for Carcoons, I have one for the pickup and one for the Rover, I've used both the indoor and outdoor versions with great success over many years.

The zips are a weak point, and a bit of a pain but you can send them back for a new zip if required.

Ian
tweedy998

Post by tweedy998 »

Hi all! Thanks for all the replies, a much better response than the Clio 182 Trophy forum I'm on where my similar query was met with a distinct silence... I think it sounds like the drive-in model might be the one to go for. Certainly great to hear all the positive experiences, very helpful indeed. Cheers! Ed.
1965 Tweed Grey Mk1 Morris Cooper 998
2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy 407/500
2010 Storm Grey Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup
haynes

Post by haynes »

Has anyone ordered a carcoon recently?

I phoned them to make sure they were in stock, they said it would take about a week, so placed an order. 3 weeks now passed and I cant get through by phone and emails not answered. I've since discovered from other forums that my experience is far from unique. Only saving grace is that they haven't taken the money.