PIC OF THE DAY

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: PIC OF THE DAY

Post by mab01uk »

InnoCooperExport wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:55 pm Sadly now sold so I can't access the ad anymore, but there was an MGA Coupe with a Derrington crossflow head for sale on C&C recently. Very cool piece of kit.
B-Series Mini engine transplant?
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24491
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

The latest in my short series of posts that are entitled "D" is for . . . . .

Today, "D" is also for Dog,

The dog in question was Samantha the Staffordshire Bull Terrier owned by Daniel & Bunty Richmond.

Daniel & Bunty never had any children, but they both absolutely doted on their Staffies, the most well known of which was Samantha. She was a more or less permanent fixture in & around the works & well known for leaving little presents for customers & employees alike.

After Daniels death, Bunty was heard on more than one occasion saying that the only reason she didn't give it all up was to look after Samantha. Of course, although Bunty thought the world of her faithful friend, no one could believe that she should be taken seriously. However & very sadly, the day after Samantha the Staffordshire Bull Terrier died in 1976, Bunty took her own life & that was the end of the Downton story.
d is also for dog-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

mk1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:14 am Whoops :oops: Sorry, Kingston upon Thames :)

That photo is actually of the Derrington stand at one of the Racing Car shows, but it gives a good impression of how the shop was. Crammed, I think it the correct description.
I used to be a resident of Kingston upon Thames (a Royal London borough) but moved just across the border into Surrey a few years ago but don't worry I wasn't upset even though I still work occasionally in the Kingston area! :lol:
I used to visit the VW Derrington shop when they advertised in CCC, etc but loved 'old school' shops like that which were crammed with goodies to browse for future purchases.
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

Terrible end to the Downton story

From the history and stories i have read on here Daniel and Bunty certainly seemed like a pair of characters, who did not suffer fools lightly.
They appear to have had a thriving business that did well for much of the time in operation.

Strange to think they would have no idea that people would be discussing them.
on a thing called the internet so many years later.
The best repairs go un-noticed
UHR850

Post by UHR850 »

mk1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:29 am The latest in my short series of posts that are entitled "D" is for . . . . .

Today, "D" is also for Dog,

The dog in question was Samantha the Staffordshire Bull Terrier owned by Daniel & Bunty Richmond.

Daniel & Bunty never had any children, but they both absolutely doted on their Staffies, the most well known of which was Samantha. She was a more or less permanent fixture in & around the works & well known for leaving little presents for customers & employees alike.

After Daniels death, Bunty was heard on more than one occasion saying that the only reason she didn't give it all up was to look after Samantha. Of course, although Bunty thought the world of her faithful friend, no one could believe that she should be taken seriously. However & very sadly, the day after Samantha the Staffordshire Bull Terrier died in 1976, Bunty took her own life & that was the end of the Downton story.

d is also for dog-2.jpg
Thanks again Mark for the story, well done again.

Kees.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

To round off this short series of images of Downton, I thought I'd finish off with a very, very rare image of Daniel, Bunty & Samantha together, as a special bonus, Bunty's 250GT Ferrari, FX9 also makes an appearance.

Bunty was notoriously camera shy & any decent images of her are almost non existent. I suspect that the only reason she made an appearance here was that she was immensely proud of her Ferrari & also of Samantha.

The Downton story undoubtedly had a very sad ending, but anyone interested in the story has to admit that it was one heck of a ride while it lasted! Maybe that is why people still talk about them today. It's not just the quality tuning parts they manufactured or cars that were modified there, it's not even the many many people who's successful careers started there. I believe it's just the sheer rollercoaster ride tale of people of a type that no longer exist & were undoubtedly outstandingly different even 50 years ago.
daniel_bunty-2 copy2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

"E" Is for Emery,

Paul Emery was a real maverick. He started out working for his father in the 1950's where he was involved in many single seater projects, including driving in the 1956 British Grand Prix. His unique take on tuning saw real potential in the "New" BMC Baby which he began tuning in 1959.

His most famous Mini based creation was the very first twin engined Mini which was revealed to the public in early 1963.

The Twini was something of an evolutionary dead end, but Emery went on to a spectacular career tuning the Minis closest competitor the Hillman Imp.

Emery died in 1993.
emery.jpg
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

"F" is for factory.

I just love this image of the paint shop at Longbridge. A series of MK1 Mini's going down the line with so many people working to flat the shell before paint. It's a reminder of the days when cars were built by people not Robots.
F is for factory.jpg
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Paul Emery of course should best be known for supplying parts for 'Pandora' :D

The car used the rear suspension uprights of the Emeryson Formula Junior or F1 car (they may have been the same castings - very similar to the Lotus 18, but with the upper pick-up lug at the top of the casting, rather than at '3 O'clock' to the drive shaft as on the Lotus - I spent HOURS looking just at rear suspensions in paddocks to identify them!) as well as a radiator and various other parts supplied by PE. The Emeryson in turn became the Sirocco, as I recall. Though that is a rather complicated story of mergers, take overs and wheeler dealing, and it's too long since I read it to recal the details

He was an incredibly innovative designer, albeit as small scale a constructor as you can get. His front engined 500 looked like a Mini pre war Mercedes GP car, and he did marvelous things with imps (if such a thing can be acknowledged here :lol: )

But yes, pandora is surely the jewel in any crown

Al
BRI MK1

Post by BRI MK1 »

i raced against Paul in G P midgets he had an imp engine in that i can remember having a right battle with him at Ipswich that was in the late seventies i had a cooper s engine in the back of mine great times