Extra front lights lay out.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Peter Laidler

Re: Extra front lights lay out.

Post by Peter Laidler »

Off at a bit of a tangent........ My friend in Newbury had a good little profitable hobby restoring and selling those LUCAS 576 spot/fog lights. He did LUCAS Rangers too. All sorts of jigs and presses to restore slight dings in the bowls and had them re-chromed at a little place in Pembroke Road. I used to re-cut the knackered threads in the bottom and rear mounting tubes and re-machine new brass mounting nuts after LUCAS ran out of spare parts. He also used to alter the rear mounted lamps so that they had sufficient adjustment to fit and light up the road closer to the rear of Minis instead of the horizon!!!!! I also made some of the knackered alloy parts used on the swiveling roof light versions. Happy days and good quality lights too
CooperTune

Post by CooperTune »

I realize not everyone looks at their classic mini in the same light. In the very late 60s I drove my 1961 850 back and forth to college. My eyes must have been better then as I recall no issues with lighting. When I retired in 2000 I restored a 1985 1000E and began using that as my only transportation. Even with better bulbs, lighting was poor at best. Using a spot light grille, I cut it apart making the lamp holes larger and filled them some big cheap lamps. Big improvement some what like pushing a wall of light down the road. Why cheap? In the 176,000 miles I have driven the car I have lost three driving lamps and two head lamps to rock damage. I also added a high mounted rear brake lamp. If planning to use a classic as modern transportation, my suggestion is to upgrade lighting, performance, suspension, brakes and excellent tires. Steve (CTR)
Dr S

Post by Dr S »

I’m clearly the odd one out round here :-)
I've got a 69 Mini with a 1046, Cooper Head and a four on the floor.
spraybeateer

Post by spraybeateer »

This would be 1965 my 1963 SDL, home made lamp bar, a suitably shaped 3/4" bar with the brackets brazed on
ran with 2 lamps for a long time! waiting for a damaged Lucas driving lamp that were fitted to many of the cars we
were repairing at the time, sorry for posting an early photo of yours truly!
:lol: :roll:
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

Dr S wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm I’m clearly the odd one out round here :-)
I like that 👍
What make are the lamps?
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
Dr S

Post by Dr S »

miniminor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 pm
Dr S wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm I’m clearly the odd one out round here :-)
I like that 👍
What make are the lamps?
Hi, they are Sev Marchals with the little gold cat in the centre. I’ve never seen them on a mini before, gives a different feel to the older Lucas lights in my view.
I've got a 69 Mini with a 1046, Cooper Head and a four on the floor.