Extra front lights lay out.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Bitsilly

Extra front lights lay out.

Post by Bitsilly »

My car originally came like this:
thumbnail_DSC_0410.jpg

I have the brackets, lights, and drilled bumper etc, but I was wondering if my humble 850 was originally trying to look like something else! Or is that layout OK for a boring old road car?

The reason I ask is that once finished my wife will be commuting in the car and IIRC the original lights were more like candles, so I may eventually fit extra illumination.

Cheers
Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miniminor

Re: Extra front lights lay out.

Post by miniminor »

Period mods on many early cars, going for the early works rally or Italian Job look? Mine doesn't have any and I won't fit them but I'd happily keep those in place if that were mine.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

All our family minis had extra lights, in the Cornish country lanes they were much needed, though we often did the dynamo bearings I seem to recall.

Your car and your choice, but I like them ;-)
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

As you're departing from originality why not just fit an alternator and uprated headlights. Best of both world. LOOKS original but works better
LMM76C

Post by LMM76C »

A period rally mantra was : "first make best use of the lights you have/have to have" (before fitting extra lights).
I long ago lost track of the changing UK rules for extra lights but at one time any non-symmetrical arrangement (like typical rally lights up to the end of 1965 and the new Appendix J with an odd number and a central light) was banned, so check carefully.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Food for thought thanks gents.
I intended to suck it and see initially but it would probably be wise to just go with 2 if need be.
Regarding powering them I won’t have an alternator but will have plenty of juice!
Cheers
Ed
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It's of course down to your preference, but if it was mine I'd get some decent modern lights that replace the standard headlights & junk the auxiliary ones. I just prefer the clean look.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I'd agree - a good quality H4 unit with decent H4 lamps (maybe accidently higher wattage) and make sure the wiring is properly sized with up to scratch terminations relays.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Some information from The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Main Beam Lamps https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... ule/5/made

Front Fog Lamps https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... ule/6/made

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... tents/made
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Ta, it seems pretty lenient rules.
And I think I fitted H4 bulbs, honestly can't remember.
For now definitely no spots, but I have got some beautiful Lucas ones if need be.