Roof rails, recessed screens, full front panels, oh my

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Costafortune

Re: Roof rails, recessed screens, full front panels, oh my

Post by Costafortune »

I knew off a very late 1071 S - pretty much the last one - that had hydro pipe clips on the floor.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

I can confirm that the date I read was July not June '64 for the front panel cut outs.

According to my Llanelli Fischer factory friend though, some aspects of the hydro shells were developed in December 63 and found their way into stock sent for assembly. My own very early hydro car has the early sun visors and mirror, so as often said, it is pretty much impossible to be definitive on dates.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I agree there was a crossover period and that some dry cars had hydro clips etc but I didn’t think it stretched for very long at all and I’ve personally never seen any Longbridge made Mini earlier than a June / July car with cut away front panel. I’ve heard lots of anecdotal claims like the guy selling the blue mega early 1275S recently which had an original cutaway front panel, but it also had an 850 loom and was hydro so you have to take some of these anecdotal cases with a huge pinch of salt.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Hydro had nothing to do with the cut outs though. As I read it, the works minis hacked them out first to cool the brakes, and it eventually found its way into production cars.

There is a pic on this Forum that we have discussed that was of a hydro set up in Feb 64, so theoretically that supports what I was told about the trial pressings being made in Llanelli in late 63. The picture has the early type remote and no PCV valve, which I think came in as changes in mid 64 too?

https://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30319

My October 64 has hydro but the metal mirror and small sun visors, whereas the November 64 has the pivoting long visors and a plastic mirror with the black rubber sucker attached directly to the stem. So as recorded by a few respected folks, not even a straight shell swap but a gradually modified one.

The stories from Fischer are well known around here, not least because so many local minis resembled a certain song by Jonny Cash. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=060A15ELz00
Pete

Post by Pete »

AndyPen wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:26 pm Hydro had nothing to do with the cut outs though.
Nope of course, hydro itself just arrived on the production line at a similar time. Like you say the different little changes arrived gradually throughout production, especially in this year but the front panel specifically looks like a late Summer 64 introduction from everything I’ve seen on original cars and dated contemporary photos. Always interesting to hear new firm info on any that were ever fitted to shells earlier than July 1964.
mnicoop63

Post by mnicoop63 »

John Parnell states in his book that the change took place July-August 1964