Who's going to Stanford Hall?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Who's going to Stanford Hall?

Post by mk1 »

Thirded :)
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Opinion from yet another "Old Git".. Let the youngsters have their day to do as they wish with their whatever Mini ..even though its not to our taste its what they want to do & yes in future times "They will see the Light & will want to purchase "your" Mk1S for the full asking price.. because by-then they will be able to afford it :shock:
The Plus side is the likes of MS are makeing loads of turnover & they seem ready & able to keep increasing the supply of what were in the past rare parts .. some logical thinking is needed from us grumpys. ;)
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I have no problem with young folks enjoying Mini's. I was agreeing re tyre polishing. In my experience, there are very few tyre polishers under 50.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

surfblue63 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:45 am
Can we have a new section on the forum called Grumpy Old Men were we can all vent our annoyances with the world.
A new section? Isn't that all of it???? :lol:

Al
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Fair point Al!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

It's not the youngsters I'm having a go at, it's the 40 somethings who bring their cars in a 7.5 truck, put a load of those car showroom tiles on the field, park the car on it, then moan someone has walked some freshly cut grass over their tiles.
The concours at Stanford is just a polishing contest, and has very little to do with originality and the actual working of the car. It's probably that way because it's sponsored by one of the cleaning product companies. And by the way, don't drive you're newly discovered original low mileage barn find there and expect to win, you'll loose to some over shiney car that turned up in a truck or on a trailer that probably would get as far as the exit gate and half the electrics probably don't work. Cars a for driving, not polishing.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Each to their own, the toothbrush concours thing has always gone on but we don’t have to be interested, like we dont have to be interested in MINIs, we’re free to pass them by. That’s not the reason I stopped going to Mini shows years ago, it’s more the fact they started to become very repetitive with same cars year on year with little to really spark my interest with lots of near identical heritage certificate restored cars, some very famous fake examples being given VIP treatment and very few new ideas either as the shows are run by the same people decade after decade. Stanford used to be great though!
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

This ^^^^
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Like Pete I stopped going to most Mini shows some years ago as their were just too many which I think diluted the appeal and they got very repetitive...I certainly no longer thought it was worth enduring a long motorway journey in a Mini and often finding visitors who had made the extra effort to bring a Mini were directed to general public car parking mixed in with the modern cars. I think that happened to me at Stanford Hall when it was run by the MOC so we might as well have just turned up in our BMW 3-Series in air conditioned comfort and had more boot space for any purchases! One of the things that really put me off were some of the 'themed' shows where club stands were encouraged to dress up their Minis and themselves based on a silly theme for club stand prizes...not sure if that still happens.
Beaulieu is usually a good show but a long run in a Mini for those further north.....once again the MCR is desperately seeking someone to take over the reins of setting up the show next year but volunteers seem few and far between which does not surprise me if you have ever been involved in the running of a big show event at any level.
The Brands Hatch Mini Festival is usually a good event if you like Mini/MINI racing although the show side of things has declined in recent years and the entrance costs are high if you don't pre-book or get cheaper entry as a senior citizen.
Castle Coombe Mini Action Day used to be entertaining with some on track action, although I have heard the paddock Mini show side has declined in recent years with poor organisation?

Of course the good old days for Mini shows were as in the below links, back in the day for some of us grumpy old gits! :lol:

First MOC Meeting 1982 - Twycross Zoo:-
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?t=10623

Mini Cooper Club - Beaulieu 1982 & 83:-
http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17661

The first London to Brighton Run started in 1986 and I remember starting from Battersea Park in London and the finish was at Preston Park in Brighton after an easy run down......but I would avoid the L to B event and the usual Mini traffic jams and parking problems at each end now....
LSMOC Quote:
"The first Run was a pretty low-key affair. The LSMOC was only a small club and there was no easy way to let people know about it. There were no Mini magazines back then and only a dozen clubs. Battersea Park and Preston Park in Brighton were booked for a nominal fee. The first Run was held up by bikers protesting about being made to wear helmets. Once the cars were parked we managed to count them and there were just over 200 of them. There was little organised at Brighton and people just looked around the cars and chatted about the run. However, it was clear people really enjoyed driving down to Brighton together. The Club certainly didnt realise how important the first Run was, devoting just nine lines to it in the first newsletter after the event."
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Got to say the concours doesn't do anything for me unless there are what I call proper concours cars like the ones that Ian Matthews produces.

Shiny bullshit bling is a total turn off and for me would be a points deducted. As for cleaning insides of the exhaust with a tooth brush, as I have seen ,, well !!

But each to their own, its not my idea of a day out but it is others. Same goes for the themed club stands, sometimes accompanied by loud playing of Self Preservation Society or similar and honking of horns ..wide berth taken !!!

Being out on a limb in Norfolk means any show is miles away but I do like to try to get to one or two shows a year but not in a Mini any more. If HOY ever gets to a show it will be on the back of a trailer :roll: :lol:

I still come along with the hope of finding a few bits and pieces to make the day out worth it although obviously prices tend to be high at such shows. The only good parts finds are normally at general small local autojumbles.