Wheeler Dealers need original Minis

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
surfblue63

Re: Wheeler Dealers need original Minis

Post by surfblue63 »

First episode of the new series featuring the Mini is on Discovery next Monday evening (6 Sep 8pm BST).

However

SPOLIER ALERT

it was shown yesterday morning in the early hours.

The episode features a 1965 Austin Mini called Ethel. It was one family owned in OEW with red seats. It looked in quite solid condition.
The car was said to have not run for 13 years, but old Brewer got it going by putting in some new plugs, squirting some WD40 down the bores, sticking a battery on and putting some new fuel in the tank. The car had no clutch master cylinder so it could not be driven.
Back a base camp Elvis bungs on a new master and slave for the clutch and goes for a drive. He has fun with the brakes pulling to the right, so promptly changes the drums for a 7.5" disc set up.
Meanwhile Brewer goes off to get all the chrome parts painted with chrome paint, yes that's right chrome paint. It's that process that's been around for a while were you use silver nitrate to paint things and it gives a chrome effect.
Next up they start talking about these Aussies who got 95mph out of an 850 Mini so decide to give the car a tune up. Elvis then goes to Swifttune to borrow their gear, machining the combustion chambers, fitting hardened seats, porting the head and finally skimming it.
Then it back to the workshop to see a completed car, with nice new shiney engine bay and still deflated hydrolastic.
Once completed they go off to do the usual testing, with the audience of Mini owners, in the typical Wheelers Dealers over excited manor.

Car was purchased for £10,000, approx £1,500 spent on it and sold for £14,000.

I have to say I prefer that Elvis to Ant, seems more of a genuine bloke and not in it for the fame.
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

I did cringe when I saw Mr Brewer balance the old spark plugs on the top of the fan cowling then proceed to keep flicking the engine over, I was waiting for one of them to fall off and get flug into the rad :shock:
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

Elvis / TV certainly made that clutch cotter pin look easy…..
YMJ

Post by YMJ »

The car is OEW but whoever resprayed the wheels used Ford Frozen white, or similar. Clowns
Last edited by YMJ on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YMJ

Post by YMJ »

steve1071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:36 pm Elvis / TV certainly made that clutch cotter pin look easy…..
If you try recreating his body position in relation to where your wrist/fingers need to be, you'll know that it was total bollocks
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

YMJ wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:55 pm
steve1071 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:36 pm Elvis / TV certainly made that clutch cotter pin look easy…..
If you try recreating his body position in relation to where your wrist/fingers need to be, you'll know that it was total bollocks
:D
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Quite enjoyed that episode. Much better than the ‘US edit’ style of the several previous series - improved by absence pf Ant’s dumbed-down exposition and annoying over-acting.

Is it my eyesight, or did the chamber volume still look huge after they skimmed the head?

As usual, the ‘budget sheet’ was a work of fiction - lots of obvious part changes [exhaust, manifolds, fresh air duct] not listed in the total.
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

iain1967s wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:58 am improved by absence pf Ant’s dumbed-down exposition and annoying over-acting.
I thought it was only me that it annoyed! The opened mouth amazement upon removing a part as if he just pulled the sword from the stone... gets on my wick :lol:
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

mini_surfari wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm
iain1967s wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:58 am improved by absence pf Ant’s dumbed-down exposition and annoying over-acting.
I thought it was only me that it annoyed! The opened mouth amazement upon removing a part as if he just pulled the sword from the stone... gets on my wick :lol:
Ant Anstead and his over-acting in the few USA Wheeler Dealers I tried to watch annoyed me too but now he has settled down in California with Renée Zellweger maybe he will get a part in the next Bridget Jones film to improve his acting skills. :lol:
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

mab01uk wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:35 pm
mini_surfari wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:52 pm
Ant Anstead and his over-acting in the few USA Wheeler Dealers I tried to watch annoyed me too but now he has settled down in California with Renée Zellweger maybe he will get a part in the next Bridget Jones film to improve his acting skills. :lol:
Surprised that Brewer wasn't snapped up by some Hollywood star................ or perhaps not !!!!! :)