Wheeler Dealers need original Minis

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
wantafaster1

Re: Wheeler Dealers need original Minis

Post by wantafaster1 »

It was in a magazine, it must be true lol
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

Pete wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:49 am JC was pictured with it in the 80s and he did sell it as his garage sold many hundreds of others but to claim it was JCs own personal car without checking the facts with Mike at the very least is pretty bold. It’s not like he’s hard to get hold of.
That's the picture I was looking for last night but didn't find :lol: , I don't know what paperwork has come with the car to suggest it was John's personal transport, if Mike is saying it's just another car that was sold through Ferring then until there is documented proof (which there may or may not be) it was registered to John personally it's 'just' another car that went through the garage.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I bet when he sells it he will still claim "once owned by John Cooper", this is how car histories become very muddied over time, good to see Mike Cooper setting things straight though, did MB pay over the odds thinking it belonged to Cooper ?, I seriously hope so :twisted:
Should only be advertised as "once photographed next to John Cooper", be that adds £1 to the value.
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

Pete wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 am Well Mike Cooper has just cleared one thing up on Facebook he doesn’t remember the green S Brewer is claiming was JCs, denies discussing it with him as claimed n the article and as I suspected thinks it’s just one of hundreds and hundreds of cars JC sold from the garage. Not a happy bunny. JC was pictured with it in the 80s outside the garage alongside the silver Metro Cooper but that’s about the only connection to John Cooper. Reminds me of the “ex Brian Epstein” Radford story from a few years ago which Bonhams were peddling or the false ex Tom Sopwith Mini Cooper story , John Lennon’s, Princess Margaret’s, all made up in the pub. Looks like Brewer goes to the same pub!
I don't feel as silly now saying there was more that that story than met the eye!
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well he’s pretty adamant it was John Cooper’s own personal car despite not a single person remembering him owning it. I’m pretty sure there’s gonna be more to come on this one!!🤦‍♂️
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

Why is he describing it as a Mk2 when it's a Mk1...?!!
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

1992 Maserati Biturbo 430 2.8 litre V6
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

WMU 211G wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:20 pm Why is he describing it as a Mk2 when it's a Mk1...?!!
Because he's clueless?

I've noticed the car is being sold as a car originally sold by John cooper himself rather than owned by
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

mk1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm I watched the old series 1 Mini episode only recently. What a hoot!

A nice driving project MK1 for £200 !!

Those were the days.
Ah the 1/2 A panel bodge will never be forgotten.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

miniminor wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:58 pm
mk1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm I watched the old series 1 Mini episode only recently. What a hoot!

A nice driving project MK1 for £200 !!

Those were the days.
Ah the 1/2 A panel bodge will never be forgotten.
However for a £200 project Mini at the time it was a valid budget repair job for an 'old' Mini....you could even say now it was retaining as much of the sound original 'factory' metalwork as possible rather than replacing complete panels and thus avoiding people then calling it a Triggers broom! :lol:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Got to be honest, I have never had any issues with the 1/2 A panel repair. It was perfectly valid within the context of the other repairs made. Not a 1000 point restoration, just giving "an old banger" a longer lease of life.

At least the door fitted OK afterwards, something that is all too rare on a lot of "concourse" restorations!
Mark F
General dogsbody.