Original or not?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mk1
Site Admin

Original or not?

Post by mk1 »

A few night ago I was fitting the moustache & ends to my latest project. This was amazingly un rusty when I got it & only received a floor, one inner wing, two outer wings, & inner & outer A Panels. The front panel is the original one.

When I was fitting the ends I discovered that the original factory holes in the front panel were wonky on one side, not just a bit, but by about 3/8" over it's length. As these are original factory holes in the original factory front panel, this one moustache end must have been wonky from new.

What I am wondering is, if this was your car what would you do? Would you fit the moustache end as is or "correct" it to make it fit correctly?

I have already made my decision & am happy with it, but I would be interested to hear other peoples views on my dilemma.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Polarsilver

Re: Original or not?

Post by Polarsilver »

Had similar issue in that my Shell was a Dealer supplied Parts Department new Mk1 Shell from way back .. with no body panels ever changed ..when fitting the Moustache Ends i had a selection of original used & OE nos Ends ..on one side of car the "ends" fitted & followed the alignment of the front panel surface .. yet the other side tended to want the moustache "end" to Curl Up and not follow the front panel painted surface .. my end solution was to chose a used "End Bit "that nearly followed the front panel shape but it was not ideal.. However your past advise to use pan head bolts with the head modified to fit in the Moustache End inner channel was very good advice and using the small bolts helped pull the Moustache End inwards that bit closer .
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

It would get me into a real struggle between my OCD and my faible for original build features :lol: :lol:
If only I knew the power of the Dark Side...I wouldn't have made contact with an Innocenti :mrgreen:
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

Leave it wonky. It's a nice talking point and proof they were made by humans..... :)
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Leave it and lurk in the background and chuckle when people criticise how the 'restorer' has not done it as good as the original manufacturer's work :lol:
mini_surfari

Post by mini_surfari »

Personally, I'd straighten it up, as it would annoy me just as much as if I had bought it new :lol:
Aginley

Post by Aginley »

Would need a picture to decide :D
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

If it was original factory paint I would leave it be.

But I would fix it when repainting.
morris-miner

Post by morris-miner »

I’m worth steve1071 on this one boss.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Thanks for the comments.

If anyone is interested, I left it as it was. Wonky, but as it came out of the factory.
Mark F
General dogsbody.