Dunnie D1’s

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Beatie

Dunnie D1’s

Post by Beatie »

Finally got mine restored :D
After a bit of graft and £10.00 of acrylic paint they have come up quite nice .
I feel it only fair as I have made quite a few of the centres for some of you guys that we all get some gratuitous mini pics displaying your D1’s !
Thanks to nick at min-e-bitz for the excellent decals
Thanks to peter for convincing me to get involved :D
Now let’s see them , here’s mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Laidler

Re: Dunnie D1’s

Post by Peter Laidler »

Without doubt the best looking mini wheels. I polished my newly painted rims using oily scotch-brite pads from the local hardwars shop. But being an idle sod, I had the car jacked up, in 1st gear and running while I put a wheel on each front wheel and just sat there for a few minutes until the shine came through.

What's even better about these D1's is that they're so easy to clean too.

Great job Beatie
If I was compu'a savvy I'd show you mine!
AndyB72

Post by AndyB72 »

Original wheels from my Cox GTM restored ready to fit...

Beatie

Post by Beatie »

Now they look crisp Andy :D
Have you tipped the missus off that the traditional infamous missing sock has turned up :lol: :lol:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I recognise that skuzzy boot floor :)
nick rogers

Post by nick rogers »

Far anyone interested, I have just had another 100 D1 stickers made.
Nick
foxy52

Post by foxy52 »

Beatie wrote:Finally got mine restored :D
After a bit of graft and £10.00 of acrylic paint they have come up quite nice .
I feel it only fair as I have made quite a few of the centres for some of you guys that we all get some gratuitous mini pics displaying your D1’s !
Thanks to nick at min-e-bitz for the excellent decals
Thanks to peter for convincing me to get involved :D
Now let’s see them , here’s mine
...i agree great period wheels.. i had em on mine .. an as u say so easy to keep clean....foxy52
Brynmor

Post by Brynmor »

I've got a set of these sitting in the shrubbery outside the garage :lol: pictures have fired me up to get them done I think !
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

They are fairly simple to restore too Bryn. The base material has very good corrosion resistance - as has been said before, I seem to recall that it's one of the LM alloys of the type used to make the sheet alloy high corrosion resistance road signs. Just so long as any corrosion is cleaned off and protected with an alloy type primer they'll still be giving good service in another 40 years.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

In order to use the centre sticker you do of course require centres to stick them to, originals of which are a) quite rare and b) correspondingly expensive when they do turn up.

Having had a set of original wheels refurbished I have found that the (plastic :? ) centres sold for the modern repro D1s don't fit my original wheels which led me to think that they couldn't be that difficult to make - for someone with the necessary skills and equipment.

A bit of research led me to the following guide from Mr Laidler (which he is clearly too modest to mention here :D ) : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21090

I shall certainly be looking into this. Edit - reading this again I get the impression the OP may have made some of these centres already, hence this thread? :oops: But hopefully the link is of interest in any event.....