Just a nice period picture

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mab01uk

Re: Just a nice period picture

Post by mab01uk »

Before the Euro Tunnel this was my favoured fastest way of crossing the channel when driving a car to France and beyond. However even on a calm crossing when the 'flight attendants' served drinks I found it almost impossible to drink from a glass without using a straw. :lol:
Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

What a racket, the deck head panels used to vibrate I thought they were going to come down on my head early 80's Dover-Boulogne. :shock: :o
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Very noisy things indeed, one trip was too rough to return on the Hovercraft, so they put us in a Ferry instead, The Herald of Free Enterprise, no less ……..lucky it was not this time it chose to capsize :shock:
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

"fond" memories of the Hoverspeed SRN4. We used to cross to the UK fairly regularly back in the day, I think the hovercraft was definitely the most spectacular way to cross albeit the worst for seasickness. That said the old Stena HSS Catamaran was pretty notorious too! Both did give you the idea of being an extra on a Bond film though.

Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

mab01uk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:10 pm Image

Before the Euro Tunnel this was my favoured fastest way of crossing the channel when driving a car to France and beyond. However even on a calm crossing when the 'flight attendants' served drinks I found it almost impossible to drink from a glass without using a straw. :lol:
Lovely period pic - looks like a Ferrari 330GTC behind the Elf.
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

1992 Maserati Biturbo 430 2.8 litre V6
richardACS

Post by richardACS »

WMU 211G wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am
mab01uk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:10 pm Image

Lovely period pic - looks like a Ferrari 330GTC behind the Elf.
Do you think the Riley and the 1100 were in a 'who can carry the most on the roof rack' challenge - Ferrari looks so purposeful and fit for speed...great image
snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

Looking at the rear arch the 1100 has a boot full of duty free too! Although maybe not, it would have been 2 bottles in those days!
Cheers

Kevin
richardACS

Post by richardACS »

And who can forget the image of Michael Caine earnestly waving on 'the Italian Job' vehicles aboard the ferry - glamorous stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxCcHsrJqk
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Ronnie
Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!

Post by Ronnie »

InnoCooperExport wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:19 am "fond" memories of the Hoverspeed SRN4. We used to cross to the UK fairly regularly back in the day, I think the hovercraft was definitely the most spectacular way to cross albeit the worst for seasickness. That said the old Stena HSS Catamaran was pretty notorious too! Both did give you the idea of being an extra on a Bond film though.
If you have ever checked your Garmin while traveling -------------------------->THEY ARE FAST :D :D At least on the Irish crossing they are :!: