At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Peter Laidler

Re: At The Auctions

Post by Peter Laidler »

As related to me, because the cops purchased in such small quantities, they had to order through the local dealers instead of at the factory gate, such as the Post Office, the SEB and the Forces. No big discounts either. As a result they chose the cheapest options that they could possibly get. Single fuel tank, cheapo interior....., monotone, you know the sort of thing.

Someone said that in effect, Kent (?) were buying Mini's with Cooper engines. You could say the same about some forces buying mini's with S engines and running gear - such as this
Striped shirt

Post by Striped shirt »

The Police mk2 Jags were the same. I belive these even had fibre board door cards!
These cars were just tools for the job 'back in the day'. Bought to.do a job, driven into the ground. Amazing that any exist now.
spoon.450

Post by spoon.450 »

Exminiman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:20 pm Do those boot board brackets look newer than the boot ..?
They do to me……and the engine number plate.
Looks an interesting car
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

That's a good point and a couple of good examples. Originally came with a single tank (as did one batch of Liverpool cars) and probably came with no boot board.

Maybe someone with an interest in cop cars ought to start writing all this stuff down. No, not me........, I've got no interest in 'em at all!

Striped shirt is right. They were and still are just a tool to do a job......., just like police dogs.

Here's an example. A police dog handler who lived in a small village near Wantage kept his dog in a secure garden with a danger sign on the tall rear garden gate. Early one morning a courier put his hand over the gate, lifted the latch and walked in to leave a parcel around the back. Not his lucky day and totally to blame after a severe mauling. By midday the dog had been put down as out of control..... Just a tool to do a job
Simon776

Post by Simon776 »

The chassis number is one of the Liverpool Police cars originally registered KKD 4**E. They were the ones specified without a right hand tank despite being built in late 1966.

Be interesting to see where it ends up price wise as, unlike the Bangers and Cash car, I don't think I see much of the original car there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not possess it.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Interesting Simon. I wonder how it's now got a PUB xxx D number from its KKD xxx E number. A bit of 'buyer beware' here I think unless one of the former owners ran a pub or wanted to hide its origins.
beardylonodn

Post by beardylonodn »

My guess is that's either a cherished transfer or more likely as its been off road for a while, a new reg issued by DVLA (says it was re-registered in 2021) from a batch of unused numbers, as if you look here, the sequence PUB wasn't originally issued on a D plate

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/ub.htm
Pete

Post by Pete »

Simon776 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 am The chassis number is one of the Liverpool Police cars originally registered KKD 4**E. They were the ones specified without a right hand tank despite being built in late 1966.

Be interesting to see where it ends up price wise as, unlike the Bangers and Cash car, I don't think I see much of the original car there.
The last “ex police S” that appeared on here was also pretty moody aswell, even less of that one was from the original car (island blue if you remember). Also for sale wasn’t it. Another odd thing I spotted about those Liverpool Ss was the badges were also abit off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

The right hand tank looks like an aftermarket one to me, very square on the edges. Also has what looks like a vinyl roof and the headliner is not cream crackle, so could have been used to cover/replace holes for roof lighting.
:?:
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

This would be an interesting one to research. I had it years ago and sold it on. It was rubbish, rusty, bodged up, black, grp Clubman front etc. It had an 850 MA2S4 chassis number but had 998 Cooper running gear. You'd need to get the number and check Gaydon records.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.