Auction fakes...

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Pete

Re: Auction fakes...

Post by Pete »

I get it Trev, I do, and though Ive never really been into reshelled cars (though have definitely done it!!) it’s safe to say there’d be very few Cooper Ss about if they hadn’t been! The works team would have been shut down! :lol: . The alternative with cars like that Fiat would possibly have been to scrap the project entirely which isn’t necessarily a better option. If it’s all above board I don’t see it as a problem.
Since I began to look at them more closely I’ve started to find quite a few early 1275GTs have also recieved a new base unit! More than I thought, but probably shouldn’t be THAT surprised.
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

I have no issue with re-shelling if it's a period correct shell. But to pass the car from the original post off as 63 is just woeful. It does raise the whole philosphical debate of the Ship of Theseus but then my Inno wouldn't be an Inno anymore either since it has a new floor, wings, doorskins, bootlid frame (the outer skin was transplanted)... But it has its limits, and that car is taking the P.
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

"Ship of Theseus" I had to google it.

Far more impressive than "Grandad's Axe".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

That's today's thing learnt.

Thanks, M
cockney21

Post by cockney21 »

I have a problem with re-shelling into a pre registered car to keep the same registration details, it's called ringing. If the original car was good why not transfer the older car parts on to it and stay legal? Or is it the history is just a V5 piece of paper? If the shell of the car is so bad that it can't be restored then that's the end of the car in my eyes...it doesn't live on because I took the engine out and plonked it in another car.

Unpopular idea as it involves the potential loss of £££ more than the appreciation of the cars.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

mk1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:52 pm "Ship of Theseus" I had to google it.

Far more impressive than "Grandad's Axe".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

That's today's thing learnt.

Thanks, M
And of course not forgetting Trigger's Broom... :lol:

"Trigger's awarded a medal for saving the council money by using the same broom for over 20 years....."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

Quote: "The fact that this episode gets a mention on Wikipedia's page on 'Ship of Theseus' gives you an idea of the influence of this programme. Pure brilliance."
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Back in 2013 Classics Monthly magazine started a 'Reshell Or Die' petition for classic cars which had some interesting ideas on this topic.........as always there were many different opinions and 'for better or worse' after much discussion nothing changed in the end.

As Pete says above, if everyone had obeyed the letter of the DVLA reshell rules back in the day, (I seem to remember they were introduced around 1980 so all earlier reshells were legal), the Cooper S as a classic would be far rarer and probably even more expensive today, as many more would have been scrapped instead of rebuilt into then fairly plentiful and cheap 850cc donor Mk1/2/3 cars/shells (not stolen) by enthusiasts throughout the 1960's/70's/80's and early 90's, when it was not considered sensible or viable to rebuild a rusty or severely damaged original shell. The downside was however the rarity now of any rust free garaged 'little old lady' one owner Mk1 Mini 850 Automatic Minis!
minimk1man

Post by minimk1man »

Whether you agree or disagree with re-shelling with secondhand shells from other vehicles is a long standing debate. My point was that with it being illegal, a mainstream TV programme should not be blatently showing the practice surely.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

I don't see an issue re-shelling a car with the correct spec' for the car, as could have been done in period after a smash. However doing it to increase the value by saying it's a Mk1 is very dubious. It was probably done in all innocence, just using a shell they had, and the owner was no doubt happy with it. Selling it on is a different story though and if DVLA were to get involvedthey would probably delete it from the system. That said it hasn't been given a high value. Had they been looking for £15k upwards it would have appeared a lot more dubious.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

111Robin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm I don't see an issue re-shelling a car with the correct spec' for the car, as could have been done in period after a smash. However doing it to increase the value by saying it's a Mk1 is very dubious. It was probably done in all innocence, just using a shell they had, and the owner was no doubt happy with it. Selling it on is a different story though and if DVLA were to get involved they would probably delete it from the system. That said it hasn't been given a high value. Had they been looking for £15k upwards it would have appeared a lot more dubious.
"DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.
If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you must not display it again."
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... on-numbers
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

111Robin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm I don't see an issue re-shelling a car with the correct spec' for the car, as could have been done in period after a smash. However doing it to increase the value by saying it's a Mk1 is very dubious. It was probably done in all innocence, just using a shell they had, and the owner was no doubt happy with it. Selling it on is a different story though and if DVLA were to get involvedthey would probably delete it from the system. That said it hasn't been given a high value. Had they been looking for £15k upwards it would have appeared a lot more dubious.
At the turn of the century it was cheaper to strip an accident damaged Rover Mini than it was to repair. I know of an Essex dealer who had many later bodyshells in stock; sadly not until much later as they were sold off very, very cheaply when the Rover dealership closed down. :cry: