A mystery solved

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
tintoptom

Re: A mystery solved

Post by tintoptom »

When I think of reproductions I think of the rosepetal wheel as a good example.

When repros became widely available, the magic disappeared.

Yes you can easily tell if they are original or not, but when there are so many around they just become less special generally.

I remember seeing originals before the repros became available and drooling over them. Now even when I see originals I'm not that bothered.

I say forget the repros and let the original remain special! :)
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

To a great extent I agree Tom, as more & more Mini Coopers fall into 1 of 2 camps, it all becomes a bit pointless.

Camp 1.
"Factory fresh", just like, or should that be better than the day it was born. Go to Beaulieu & see loads of Cooper S's all lined up, looking exactly the same. Newton interiors, perfect carpets, no oil leaks & everything polished within an inch of it's life.

Camp 2.
"I want to be different". A tick box list of all the "usual" accessories. LL Wheel - Tick, Speedwell gauges - Tick, Dulles dash - Tick, Rosepetal wheels - Tick, Restalls - Tick, Smooth top rocker cover - Tick, Twin H4's - Tick, It starts to get like Monty Python's Life of Brian . . . . . . Yes! We are all individuals.

I was building cars like this 30 years ago, back then it was hard to do, finding the right bits took ages & was even back then bloody expensive. Now, it's much easier as a lot of the original bits have been reproduced & in some cases, with the advent of the internet, original are FAR easier to find. The snag is that you end up with a car, beautiful as it might be, that looks exactly the same as many others.

I have this exact problem with the car I am building at the moment, it ticks nearly ALL the boxes above & that's why it has ground to a halt. Trying to think of something different to do is harder than it ever was. particularly when you could be "devaluing an asset" that could stand you somewhere north of 40 or 50 grand.

Getting back to the original debate, the main reason that I fancy having a go at these rocker covers again is that I know that if I did one it'd be "pretty good" I would far rather this was the case than someone had a 1/2 arsed attempt & based it on some Minisport abortion that has had all its fins ground off with an angle grinder.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
almondgreen

Post by almondgreen »

I will start now to remove the paint inside of my speedwell pod, who else ? :|
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Ha, ha, Maybe I should do the same :)
Mark F
General dogsbody.
tintoptom

Post by tintoptom »

When it gets to the point of people removing a tacho to check the inside of a pod on a car I think we've really had it :lol:
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

mk1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 am
Getting back to the original debate, the main reason that I fancy having a go at these rocker covers again is that I know that if I did one it'd be "pretty good" I would far rather this was the case than someone had a 1/2 arsed attempt & based it on some Minisport abortion that has had all its fins ground off with an angle grinder.
And I was going to suggest you could have a cheap skate go by grinding and polishing one of the Bull Motif covers.

https://www.bullmotifminispares.co.uk/p ... /fp20/FP20

:?:
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

mk1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 am Trying to think of something different to do is harder than it ever was.
Ahem, Vans. Travellers, Hornets. Mokes. (but mainly vans ;) ) Saloons are SO passe. And Coopers? Wouldn't give em' garage space :lol:

Or, do a really nice early 1100 ADO16 with all the same stuff. Cool as a penguin's ball sack.

I have loads of ideas for cars that were never built, but should have been - Cooper Moke (with brocade cushions etc and gold minilites) a Lotus Europa with a 23 body..... It's lucky I don't have time, space or disposable income!

But back on topic, we all know you'd sell a decent run of them fairly easily if you did do them, and if folks are dishonest down the line, then that's THEIR lookout, and the web (and this forum in particular) make it a lot easier for buyers to be aware.

Still, I have a great ORIGINAL Prisoner phone here, used by Patrick McGoohan himself, I believe...... :lol:

Al
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Pete

Post by Pete »

251 ENG wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:00 pm Now you got to find a period photo of one on an engine.

No FJ engine would have come from Morris Engines with one on
Even rarer are the photos of a racing Mini with one on, or any Mini for that matter.

There has become a shopping list for “Cafe Racer” cars now that seems to feature a list of specific aftermarket parts that so few cars actually had in reality, 608 mirrors are a great example, Britax harnesses, rose petals, speedwell this or that. Even vertical oil coolers, most owners of early Ss would have just bought a cheaper Serck one. It’s great to find photos of how cars actually were in the day, the under bonnet on race cars look nothing like the reimagined stuff we see now, even the Cooper works cars, they were pretty scruffy actually!
MEG is a great example of a road car, Motortune and Moto Baldet dashes were all the rage, Dunlop D1s, Karobe covers, etc. Love these photos that turned up on Facebook recently
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I remember being foolish enough to say that once Pete & I was roundly pilloried for saying it :lol:

You are of course, absolutely correct, all cars were horribly scruffy back in the 1960's even those few that were very well prepared by the likes of BVRT, Arden etc. Were usually pretty crap by today's standards. Look at Radford, when they did their "Top Quality" resprays for their cars which they would charge the equivalent of one & a half E Type Jags for, they just masked round such things as the headlights & indicators, they never even thought of painting the inside the same colour as the outside.

My mate Rich's Err Cooper S is far closer to what these sort of cars looked like in period.

The whole "Cafe Racer" look, a term which I despise was invented by a hand full of people back in the early 1990's, the most notable of which was the quite rightly much maligned Greg Hales. V997 was a car that many people lusted after when it appeared in Mini World & it's appearance created many, many clones.

Yes, the standards of work has progressed, which is undoubtedly a good thing, but there are very few cars that actually represent how cars were back in the day & when they do appear, they are usually dismissed as tatty & horribly tasteless.
Mark F
General dogsbody.