GB becomes UK

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
66Traveller

Re: GB becomes UK

Post by 66Traveller »

I agree - total waste of time and money. A good example of something that wasn't broken so didn't need fixing....
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

In 1966 my passport was "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland." My new 2021 blue passport is "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland." In 1996 I used a GB plate :lol: This month/year I need a UK plate? Another observation - in 1966 our currency was sterling - it is now GBP.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

66Traveller wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:08 pm I agree - total waste of time and money. A good example of something that wasn't broken so didn't need fixing....
Well I suppose it's true they have nothing better to do with their time (and our money) :roll:
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

hanlminiman wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:18 pm In 1966 my passport was "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland." My new 2021 blue passport is "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland." In 1996 I used a GB plate :lol: This month/year I need a UK plate? Another observation - in 1966 our currency was sterling - it is now GBP.
I suppose the blue passport is a rare example of a Brexit unicorn, although ironically enough the maroon passport had one already...
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Oi, Mk1 - I thought we avoided politics? :lol:

but I never understood the whole 'Team GB' in the olympics, as it really should be 'Team UK', shouldn't it?

It all makes me think of our first ever family holiday to France way back in the early '80s, and we got pulled over by a Gendarme a couple of miles outside Calais (in our beige Morris Ital :oops: ). He walked round the car, noting my already very stressed looking mum, and looking at the back of the car, questioned Dad 'Vous et Anglais?' Dad immediately pointed to the 'Ecosse' badge next to the GB and said in his best schoolboy pigeon French 'Non, monsieur, J'siut Ecosse! Non Angleterre!' I remember looking out the back window ( no doubt wondering if Dad was going to go to prison) and seeing this up 'till then serious looking Frenchman suddenly totally change, became very friendly, his English became fluent, and he wished us well, and sent us on our way with a cheery 'Bon Vaccance'!

Tip of the day folks - be Scottish! the Auld alliance will see you right. :lol:

Al
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Parlez vous Francais?
NON!
GCE French!
:D :lol:
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Entente cordiale?

Wassat, mate? Nah, we just like the good old fashioned blackcurant. None of that fancy foreign stuff.

:lol:

Al
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Am I reading this all wrong as it just seems to apply to the number plates, not the 'historic' GB ovals etc.???

I'm sure I must have one of the 'genuine chinese' Blummel or Ace 3D UK flags somewhere, unless they need inventing???

Classic stuff!!!
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Halfords Oval UK Cling Sticker £3.99
PLEASE NOTE: As of 28th September 2021 ‘UK’ Stickers will be replacing the current ‘GB’ Stickers for when you are travelling in Europe
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-a ... gKC-_D_BwE

MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

almondgreen wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:21 pm I think many people here in Germany do not know, what UK stands for. They think it is for Urkaine
I am Austrian and happen to have a UK driving licence. Funny fact is that I have been questioned twice already by police here in Austria why on earth I have a Ukranian driving licence :lol: :lol:
If only I knew the power of the Dark Side...I wouldn't have made contact with an Innocenti :mrgreen: