GB becomes UK

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

Re: GB becomes UK

Post by mab01uk »

Blue1300gt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:24 pm As a resident of Northern Ireland for most of my life, I have always been aware that it is the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”. On the few occasions I have taken my car abroad I always put on a GB sticker.
Is it now a legal requirement for a U.K. sticker to be fitted if you go abroad? If I fit my new magnetic GB sticker am I breaking the law?
According to the Gov website:-
"If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.
You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland."
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers

Over many years of driving in mainland Europe, I have seen many UK/GB cars with no EU/GB numberplate identifier or separate GB stickers displayed despite it always having been a requirement. Even when we adopted the Blue EU Numberplate identifier it seemed only a few bothered as it was optional...whereas in Europe all cars seemed to have such numberplates so I assume it was a requirement possibly because we are an island and mainland European motorists are more likely to cross a border? Or maybe we never took EU membership quite so seriously.... :lol:

I wonder how many UK cars visit Cyprus or Malta each year?
almondgreen

Post by almondgreen »

I do not believe that anyone here in the EU cares, if an UK car has GB or UK on his car.....
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

That's not what the Daily Excess would have you believe. FAKE NEWS

excess.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

Haha. Do Express readers believe that the French Police are still using 1980s Citroens as patrol cars :lol:

I suppose it is no more daft than Morse/Endeavour using ancient Jags though ;)
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

almondgreen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 pm I do not believe that anyone here in the EU cares, if an UK car has GB or UK on his car.....
That is true.

Why the government thinks this is worth doing is beyond me - at a stroke it trashes over 110 years of British motoring history - think Monte Carlo winning Mini Coopers, to James Bond's Aston Martin to the Italian Job! I'd be rather upset if I owned one of those upmarket cars like Bentley Continentals with the chromed GB letters screwed through the boot...
gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Blue1300gt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:24 pm Is it now a legal requirement for a U.K. sticker to be fitted if you go abroad?
Apparently yes. :roll:
Blue1300gt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:24 pm If I fit my new magnetic GB sticker am I breaking the law?
Again yes. And I think EU police forces will be using this to boost their funds. :shock:
almondgreen

Post by almondgreen »

I think many people here in Germany do not know, what UK stands for. They think it is for Urkaine
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

almondgreen wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:21 pm I think many people here in Germany do not know, what UK stands for. They think it is for Urkaine
:D Indeed...! But almondgreen has a serious point.

The problem with this cheap stunt is that there was a reason that GB was originally chosen:

Grande Bretagne (French)
Groß britannien (German)
Gran Bretagna (Italian)
Gran Bretana (Spanish)

Whereas UK:

Royaume-Uni (French)
Vereinigtes Konigreich (German)
Regno Unito (Italian)
Reino Unido (Spanish)

It's almost as though the government hasn't thought this through (and that never happens...)...
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

66Traveller wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 pm
almondgreen wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 pm I do not believe that anyone here in the EU cares, if an UK car has GB or UK on his car.....
That is true.

Why the government thinks this is worth doing is beyond me - at a stroke it trashes over 110 years of British motoring history - think Monte Carlo winning Mini Coopers, to James Bond's Aston Martin to the Italian Job! I'd be rather upset if I owned one of those upmarket cars like Bentley Continentals with the chromed GB letters screwed through the boot...
I don't think the government are much bothered about the British motoring history aspect, plus I don't think many British motorists would care much either....it has been quite rare to see GB stickers on cars for many years as those driving abroad usually had the blue Euro number plates flag, a temporary sticker or did not bother with either. The UK never seemed to take onboard the Euro number plates across the board like other European countries have. I expect all EU numberplates will eventually look the same under some faceless bureaucrats new harmonisation law....a shame as it used to be all the differences in European countries that made travel more interesting!
Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

My view is simple. three letter acronym ; SFW

What are they (who) gonna do if I dont display a UK Sticker?

What happens if I one of each ?

What a waste of time and money !