GB becomes UK

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1
Site Admin

GB becomes UK

Post by mk1 »

I'm not usually someone who is bothered about stupid admin changes, but this really shook me. For all my life I have seen those oval GB stickers & plates on cars from our country.

Those days have now gone for good. We now have to display the new UK plate or sticker.

This is nothing to do with us leaving the EU, it's a decision made by Boris & his inept band of tag alongs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-587 ... i9n-GMjx5g

Mark F
General dogsbody.
surfblue63

Re: GB becomes UK

Post by surfblue63 »

The explanation is Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain is not a country.

United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland and the UK is a country. They wanted to make Northern Ireland feel inclusive.

It will be interestng to see if Team GB (or any other sporting entity) changes it's name to Team UK.

It makes no difference to me as I will never be going overseas again as I let my passport expire about 5 years ago. There's plenty of stuff to see and do in the UK without the need to burn up the planet travelling to places were you need funny money and all they serve up is greasy horrible food. :roll: .
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I know the reason why they did it. I just think it's pathetic.

They want to make "Northern Ireland feel included" while at the same time negotiating them away and effectively leaving them in the EU to all intents and purposes. Typical Bungling Boris.

Thankfully, I don't have the same jaundiced view of the rest of the world that Stu does :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

So does this mean the other "Kingdoms" cant use their flags also ?......

Its all bollocks isn`t it - Boris wants his place in history and doesn't want to lose Scotland (or whoever) and be known as the Prime minister in charge when the Union broke up.......

Etc................
number-plate-wales.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Flags, symbols and identifiers
You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
Cross of St George
Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
Red Dragon of Wales

The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:

UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
WALES or Wales

The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.

Driving outside the UK
If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

a GB identifier with the Union flag
a Euro symbol
a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.

You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland.
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

I thought it is because Britain is no longer Great
No effective Army Navy or Air Force
No motor industry
No steel manufacturing of any significance
No ship building
No significant manufacturing of anything
Allowing in thousands of illegal immigrants
31% school population black or asian
The country is F…..d
Our culture and way of life is lost thanks to weak inept politicians and the nanny state
That’s just scratching surface
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

What if Ms Cranky gets her way = no more UK .. so i will not be buying a UK Sticker just yet :roll:
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Time to find out your Dads old "Oval GB Plate" as they are going up in values.. ( example on ebay now at £28 with 3days to Go)
They will be the next Repro Chinese product that come into "GB" ..unless Fred can get in nippy quick. ;)
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Blue1300gt

Post by Blue1300gt »

As a resident of Northern Ireland for most of my life, I have always been aware that it is the “United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”. On the few occasions I have taken my car abroad I always put on a GB sticker.
Is it now a legal requirement for a U.K. sticker to be fitted if you go abroad? If I fit my new magnetic GB sticker am I breaking the law?