Fuel panic buying....and more.

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by mk1 »

What we all tend to forget is that we are all privileged to live in parts of the world where we are free to voice our opinions about politicians or anything else for that matter without worrying about a visit from the security services.

In the greater part, we have full bellies, warm homes & the luxury to grumble.

A lot of people in the world DONT!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Nevsmini

Post by Nevsmini »

High skilled, high wage, high output economy is complete BS and just more slogans from Boris, point me to 1 country that has done this ever!
Who is going to do the low skilled jobs? or will cleaning toilets be reclassified as a high skilled job!
If you want a higher skilled economy that has to start with education. Anyone see any evidence of better education? This takes 20 years not 20 weeks to implement, so it needs to be phased in over that 20 years, BJ is jumping off a cliff and making up any old Bullshit as he goes!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Hi Nev, You are of course absolutely correct. Even when you look at the countries in the world that are usually held up as being "wealthy" democracies like Switzerland or Norway they rely on "cheaper" labour that is imported from less wealthy countries. The thing is that these wealthy countries pay higher wages than the provider country which is why people are attracted to work there. Boris is attempting to grow an economy while at the same time discouraging immigrant labour. No country, with the possible exception of China, has managed to do this EVER!

OK, the following are not great examples of fully functioning nation states, but take the Arabian Gulf countries like Saudi, these are phenomenally wealthy and as a consequence they have a very "lazy" population who aren't prepared to do menial poorly paid work, to solve this issue they import labour from less fortunate countries to do it for them. Just look at all the doctors, teachers & members of the armed forces from Britain who go & work there!

Boris's answer is to "Put wages up". If everything was as simple as that the Union demands of the 1970's would have made us all millionaires & would have lead to a full blown Workers Paradise. As far as I remember, it didn't quite end up like that.

As has already been said, he is far more interested in consolidating his vote in former Labour strongholds where high wages for menial jobs & being hard on any sort of immigration plays well. Sooner or later he will have to get real. Oh hold on, no he won't, it bulletproof Boris, he can get away with anything!

When we have inflation running out of control & unemployment at 20% people may start to realise that his sums don't quite add up.

Sometimes I feel really got at. I started my working life while Mrs Thatcher was giving the economy a serious kicking in the early 1980's, with wholesale closure of manufacturing & the practical demolition of Northern England, I remember when the Mortgage rate went up from 7% to 12% in six months. Still, I continued to work hard & save when I could. Fricken typical isn't it, that after I paid my Mortgage off interest rates & inflation dropped to bugger all & now I am thinking about retiring it looks like all my savings will be gobbled up by inflation! First world problems hey! ;)
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU so I presume they can choose what "cheaper" labour is imported from less wealthy countries when the need arises, rather than the 'free movement' required under EU rules where anyone can enter another member country regardless of their skills or willingness to work. The UK can now do the same and likewise skilled or highly skilled labour can be imported when required if the offer is tempting enough to attract in demand skills.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Fuel panic buying....and more.

Post by mk1 »

Fair point Mab, but I was making a general point about imported labour, not a specific point about EU membership although I do feel that the two do go hand in hand.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

I'm bored with this, can we talk about something else
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

In all fairness Stu, this is ONE THREAD on the forum.

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

Like I have said before.

If the EU was like intended a market for trading between members then I think Brexit wouldnt have happened.

But when an organisation whose leaders havent been voted in by all members and started making laws that every country has to keep to,it was beginning of the downfall.

The farm subsidies was one of the most stupid ideas brought in especially to help ineffecient french farmers originally.

EU bank lends Ford £150 mil to build Factory in non EU country (turkey) just after UK gives Ford some money.

Vacuum cleaners that cant have too big a motor to save energy but take longer to use.

Eggs CANNOT be sold by the dozen although we still by them like that ,they are based on weight.

Water does NOT prevent hydration. In 2011 they passed a law, which claimed scientists had found no evidence to suggest drinking water stopped dehydration.This meant manufacturers of bottled drinking water were prohibited from labelling their product with anything that would suggest consumption would fight dehydration.

Cucumbers & Bananas had to be nearly straight although we did get that changed.
Nevsmini

Post by Nevsmini »

mab01uk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:39 pm Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU so I presume they can choose what "cheaper" labour is imported from less wealthy countries when the need arises, rather than the 'free movement' required under EU rules where anyone can enter another member country regardless of their skills or willingness to work. The UK can now do the same and likewise skilled or highly skilled labour can be imported when required if the offer is tempting enough to attract in demand skills.
Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU but are in the Single market and are part of the freedom of movement, this is what Teresa May wanted but Boris and Co. Put a stop to that and went for the hardest Brexit possible barring a No deal.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Nevsmini wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:58 pm
mab01uk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:39 pm Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU so I presume they can choose what "cheaper" labour is imported from less wealthy countries when the need arises, rather than the 'free movement' required under EU rules where anyone can enter another member country regardless of their skills or willingness to work. The UK can now do the same and likewise skilled or highly skilled labour can be imported when required if the offer is tempting enough to attract in demand skills.
Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU but are in the Single market and are part of the freedom of movement, this is what Teresa May wanted but Boris and Co. Put a stop to that and went for the hardest Brexit possible barring a No deal.
If that is the case what advantage do Norway and Switzerland have over full members of the EU?

Quote: "Norway makes substantial contributions to the EU budget and has to follow many EU rules and laws, but it has no say in how those rules are formed."

It also looks below like Switzerland is not having a happy relationship with the EU....sounds familiar!

Quote: 26 May 2021: "After years of talks, Switzerland has scrapped efforts aimed at agreeing an over-arching treaty with the EU. Switzerland is not in the European Union but has signed up to many of its policies, such as freedom of movement.
What went wrong?
The Swiss government has highlighted three issues: protection of wages, rules governing state aid, and the right of EU citizens working in Switzerland to claim Swiss welfare benefits as part of freedom of movement. Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis said Switzerland could not accept EU demands for equal rights for EU workers as it would have meant an unwanted "paradigm shift" in Switzerland's migration policy. The government also feared it could lead to higher social security costs."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57251681