Fuel panic buying....and more.

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Post Reply
User avatar
mab01uk
Posts: 5769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: S.E. England

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by mab01uk »

r.tec wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:20 pm
hicklingmick wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 am
Well Poland & Hungary you mean because they wont keep to the EU regime on allowing refugees in ( really economic illegal migrants)

There is country wanting to leave not too far from Uk
A country not far from the UK can only be France, and again I ask myself where you get your information from. Madame LePen might be strong but not strong enough to lead France out out of the EU. That may be a fascinating idea for daydreamers on both sides of The Channel. But be assured that won't happen.
That's what many (especially the BBC - aka 'Brussels Broadcasting Corporation') said about Nigel Farage not being strong enough to lead the UK out of the EU. :lol:
User avatar
surfblue63
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: NE England

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by surfblue63 »

mab01uk wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:06 pm ...due to increased land values....
And there's the real issue. The actual reason why we depended so long on cheap imported (and some say exploited) labour is the cost of putting a roof over your head. If the cost of a home was reduced, be it rented or mortgaged, then people might do the jobs that do not pay as well. What's the point in getting a job where you end up with less in your pocket than if you claim benefits and housing?
Is it any wonder why all the kids these days are doing degrees in sports psychology and media influencing, they don't want to be driving trucks or picking fruit and having to live in an old caravan.
Unfortunately it is not possible for the value of land and housing to fall, unless we have a massive financial melt down. Not to worry, expect inflation to go above 5% in the new year as the cost of fuel, gas, electricity and labour gets passed on to the consumer.
User avatar
Exminiman
Posts: 1417
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Exminiman »

surfblue63 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:32 pm
mab01uk wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:06 pm ...due to increased land values....
And there's the real issue. The actual reason why we depended so long on cheap imported (and some say exploited) labour is the cost of putting a roof over your head. If the cost of a home was reduced, be it rented or mortgaged, then people might do the jobs that do not pay as well. What's the point in getting a job where you end up with less in your pocket than if you claim benefits and housing?
Is it any wonder why all the kids these days are doing degrees in sports psychology and media influencing, they don't want to be driving trucks or picking fruit and having to live in an old caravan.
Unfortunately it is not possible for the value of land and housing to fall, unless we have a massive financial melt down. Not to worry, expect inflation to go above 5% in the new year as the cost of fuel, gas, electricity and labour gets passed on to the consumer.
“I am miserable now” ;)

Unfortunately, I fear (for my kids) you are right - we are a densely populated island and the population is not evenly spread, so the land values in certain areas will just keep rising.

Where as other countries such as France have a similar population, but with twice the land area….
User avatar
Andrew1967
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Andrew1967 »

hicklingmick wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:14 pm
Exminiman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:09 pm Our shortage might also be explained in part by the fact that we have less petrol stations than lots of other countries in Europe.

Obviously, less petrol stations would equal less capacity……

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articl ... l-station/

.D6FEE7B1-0C55-40CE-B6C9-06F0E55B2078.png
Yeah there all car wash places now.
It wasn't until trying to find somewhere to buy fuel to get to work, that I realised just how few filling stations there are around rural Norfolk nowadays !!
User avatar
Andrew1967
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Andrew1967 »

surfblue63 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:32 pm
mab01uk wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:06 pm ...due to increased land values....
And there's the real issue. The actual reason why we depended so long on cheap imported (and some say exploited) labour is the cost of putting a roof over your head. I
As I have been led to believe, a lot of this 'cheap imported labour' is such because they live in caravans or huts provided by the farmer or whoever their employer is, which costs them bugger all but then the employer deducts 'rent' from the workers salary and so effectively pays them LESS than the minimum wage. Plenty of foreign workers up the road from me at the local strawberry producing company .. who live on site .. are they getting £9.80 or whatever the minimum wage is IN THEIR POCKET ... I doubt it somehow.
Polarsilver
Posts: 1752
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 pm
Location: Silverstone not far away

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Polarsilver »

Andrew , Farmers have not changed their spots ..In past 100 years they treated the Farm Labourer in just the same way .. that was before he got pissed off with his employer & went to work in a Factory.. now his Eu Worker has also seen what he is doing & went home.. so Farmers best response is to "Winge" that the Peasants will not have anything to put on their table at Xmas & demand Gov; Subs as they lost out on some from the EU :roll:
User avatar
Andrew1967
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Andrew1967 »

I wasn't really referring to the farmers themselves Norman, more the demographic of the work force.

You could say that the UK consumer is to blame for demanding cheap food and the supermarkets screwing the farmers into the ground, by dictating what they will pay for the produce, in order to maximise their profits whilst still selling cheap foods.

Despite what the common misconception is , not all farmers are greedy bastards who ponce around in the latest Range Rovers.

I'm too all to aware that the agricultural industry has always been piss poor for salaries, having lived in an agricultural area for most of my life. My father used to be in the pig industry, which in itself has battled in an un-level playing field with its Danish counterparts for many years, not only in subsidies but also in the animal welfare side of things.

I think this has gone somewhat off the OP :lol: :lol:
User avatar
mab01uk
Posts: 5769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: S.E. England

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by mab01uk »

Andrew1967 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:35 pm I think this has gone somewhat off the OP :lol: :lol:
Interesting though to hear the various different observations and points of view. :D

Also as this topic is directly related to the pay and conditions in various industries in the UK. Similarly many of the NHS staffing problems are related to the UK relying on attracting ready trained doctors and nurses away from developing countries that need them more than us. Just because for years successive governments don't invest for the long term future in training and funding our own citizens to fill the vital roles and value properly those that do make the effort.
User avatar
mab01uk
Posts: 5769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: S.E. England

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by mab01uk »

Cement Mortar tanker tailed by drivers looking for petrol.
A convoy of twenty cars tailed a tanker for miles because they believed it was carrying petrol or diesel - only to find it was full of cement. The drivers followed the 44-tonne HGV during its 70-mile trip from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to Overstone, Northamptonshire. But they were left red faced when it pulled up at a building site, with one brazenly blasting the trucker for not telling them he was not carrying fuel. Johnny Anderson was driving the tanker on Thursday for Weaver Haulage and said he had a 44-tonne load. 'I didn't notice initially but then on the dual carriageway, I noticed nobody was overtaking me and saw a string of about 20 cars behind me. 'When I eventually turned left into a road that would take me to the site entrance, all these cars turned left with me.' Mr Anderson said: 'The man at the front wound down his window and asked me which petrol station I was going to.' 'When I said I wasn't, he asked me ''why not?'' and when I said I wasn't carrying petrol he actually said ''you could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker''. :lol: :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-58767230
User avatar
mab01uk
Posts: 5769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: S.E. England

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by mab01uk »

Image
Post Reply