Fuel panic buying....and more.

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

Fuel panic buying....and more.

Post by mab01uk »

Don't know what it is like in other areas but here in Surrey panic buying of petrol and diesel is in full swing with long queues at every garage that is open since dawn today and alerts being passed around on social media whenever a garage receives a fuel delivery, just like the start of covid and panic buying of toilet rolls. If people just bought their fuel as usual there would not be a problem, maybe the odd garage shut for a while but plenty more would be open. The shortage is caused by panic buying lemmings stirred up by the media hype of scare stories about the end of civilisation as we know it....my parents generation who endured WW2 shortages and rationing for years after must be looking down laughing.
Last edited by mab01uk on Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Laidler

Re: Fuel panic buying....

Post by Peter Laidler »

Call me cynical Martin..... As soon as a Gvt Minister says that there are no shortage and no need for panic buying, or that there''ll be no shortages of food in the shops, guess what........
Nevsmini

Post by Nevsmini »

No fuel, Food, gas, Co2, truck driver problems here in Ireland. I wonder what could be the cause???????? Until the problem is identified openly it will not be fixed! It the same for every problem the world over! Identify the reason and you have a good chance of fixing it, if you don’t identify the reason it can never be fixed!
snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

Been thru Dorset today and by lunchtime a lot of petrol stations were empty… at least petrol is more difficult to hoard than toilet roll!!! Give it a couple of days and there’ll be more fuel than anyone needs!!

Thank you media for yet another preventable situation!
Cheers

Kevin
kit of bits

Post by kit of bits »

I had to pick up a car from derby this afternoon and it had no fuel😟 petrol station number 4 had some but we had to wait for an hour, painful experience ..
D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Most of us lived through the 1970's, unfortunately the generation Ys and the Millenials have never known what it is like to live through times of shortage, industrial unrest, power cuts, three days weeks, massive inflation, very high interest rates etc etc, so the merest blip and they start to panic.
Her indoors mentioned that some shelves in the supermarket had gaps on, I think the only reason they have gaps is the unbelievable choice that you have now and the size of the stores. My local Tesco is about 10 times the size of the one I worked in on Saturdays whilst at college, so I guess they need ten time the amount of trucks to fill it.
Anyways, I hope these panic buying idiots don't use their cars enough and they suffer expense due to the ethanol going off and wrecking their injectors/pump/fuel lines/filters.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Looks like we are not the only ones short of HGV drivers... :o

Poland currently has a shortage of 123,000 lorry drivers, with Germany around the 60,000 mark. A demographic time bomb of 40,000 UK drivers who were over 60 and have now retired was ignored, while poor work conditions like sleeping in lay-bys and low pay for the conditions means young people are not interested in the job, plus several DVLA strikes and stopping of new driver testing due to pandemic shut downs.
Even the USA seems to have an HGV driver shortage....and I don't think they can blame Brexit..... :lol:

A Trucking Crisis Has the U.S. Looking for More Drivers Abroad
"The U.S. has been grappling with a chronic lack of drivers for years, but the shortage has reached crisis levels because of the pandemic, which simultaneously sent demand for shipped goods soaring while touching off a surge in early retirements. The consequences have been both dire and far-reaching: Filling stations have had gasoline outages. Airports have run short on jet fuel. A stainless-steel maker declared force majeure. And lumber prices hit a record, with some suppliers partly blaming delivery delays."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ers-abroad
Southwest

Post by Southwest »

Same problem in exeter.. queuing at any garage that hasn't already run out of fuel.
Fortunately the e10 was still available when I filled the wife's morris traveller yesterday...
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

surfblue63 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:03 pm Her indoors mentioned that some shelves in the supermarket had gaps on, I think the only reason they have gaps is the unbelievable choice that you have now and the size of the stores. My local Tesco is about 10 times the size of the one I worked in on Saturdays whilst at college, so I guess they need ten time the amount of trucks to fill it.
Also these superstores rely on a stream of constant daily deliveries by several trucks to stay stocked as the 'just in time' delivery system used by many modern businesses and factories means they have no stock on site to fill the shelves once a just in time delivery is missed.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

snoopy64 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm Been thru Dorset today and by lunchtime a lot of petrol stations were empty… at least petrol is more difficult to hoard than toilet roll!!! Give it a couple of days and there’ll be more fuel than anyone needs!!

Thank you media for yet another preventable situation!
Think that that sums it up nicely.

God forbid, but there may even be some accidents with some hoarders storing fuel…….could all get a bit Darwinian…