Police filmed asking M25 eco protesters if they 'need anything'

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Peter Laidler

Re: Police filmed asking M25 eco protesters if they 'need anything'

Post by Peter Laidler »

That is criminal damage for a start....... It's a shame the protesters didn't turn up in cars. The cops would have got them for something then
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Water cannons. A magnificent sport when the peasants are revolting. :lol:
Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

Peter Laidler wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:22 pm Surely, if you don't want to insulate your home then just don't do it. It's your own money you're wasting.

A couple of years ago there was a big campaign on round here where the government (that's you and me via the then 'green levy'.....) paid to cavity wall and loft insulate all homes not already done. I took partial, the walls, advantage of it (and for extra, paid for in cash to the contractor, he did my double garage too). But when I asked the contractor about social housing, he told me that they weren't allowed access to those homes as it was a matter for the council. You guessed it already....... So they didn't get done. And still not done!

That's not actually correct, all the major power suppliers took advantage of a carbon offsetting deal where if they insulated SH ( social housing) the amount they spent came off there tax bill plus a bit more, as far as I remember the scheme started up north and made its way south ( I have no idea why), there is a fly in the ointment though which I won't go into now, but the potential costs make the current cladding/fire brake problem seem like loose change.

MS
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Update:
"Road-blocking protesters escalated their protests today by running on to the main M25 carriageway. Members of the eco-group Insulate Britain blocked traffic on the motorway near junction 10 in Surrey. It is the fifth time the group, who are demanding the Government reduce home heating emissions to zero, have blocked Britain's busiest road. More than 30 protesters were this morning seen running into flowing traffic near Woking today. There were groups on both sides of the eight-lane motorway. Police at the scene and traffic chaos again. A driving instructor, responding to the videos on social media, said this morning: 'Am I really seeing this!!! Walking in front of traffic on an active motorway in rush hour is putting every single drivers life at immediate risk, not to mention the protesters."
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Trespass with intent to Endanger the Life of Others. that sentence should be a term in Jail nothing less.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I was tangled up in this last week on my way down to Goodwood. yes, it was a pain in the arse, should they be criminalised? Probably not.

The Govt have taken out an injunction against further protests so people can be arrested if the Old Bill have "reason to believe" a protest may take place.

Not sure I want to live in a Police State where people can be nabbed without any actual evidence.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Surrey Police have sent residents this update below via their email alerts system today:-

Surrey Police -38 Arrests Made After Further M25 Protests
"38 people were arrested yesterday morning (Tuesday 21 September), following the fourth day of protest activity on the M25 in Surrey.
The first call reporting protesters walking down the embankment to the hard shoulder between J9 and 10 was received at 7.57am, with the first officers arriving on the scene within three minutes. The protesters made their way onto both the anti-clockwise and clockwise carriageways of the motorway but by 8.15am, all protesters had cleared from the anti-clockwise carriageway and it had been fully reopened. Within another two minutes (8.17am), the protesters had been removed from the clockwise carriageway, which was also subsequently reopened.
Officers arrested 38 people on suspicion of a variety of offences including criminal damage, causing danger to road users, wilful obstruction of the highway and causing a public nuisance.
Chief Superintendent Jerry Westerman said: “This is the second week of protest activity on one of the busiest roads in the region. Protesters have put their own lives, as well as those of others, at risk by walking onto both carriageways of the M25 during rush hour traffic. Fortunately, we were on scene within three minutes of the first call coming in and took swift and robust action to ensure protesters were removed from both carriageways after they ignored our requests to move on peacefully. The anti-clockwise carriageway was re-opened minutes later as soon as it was safe to do so – with the clockwise carriageway cleared two minutes after that.
“I would like to reassure the public that our priority is a quick and effective response, with disruption kept to a minimum. Officers responded quickly to make arrests, as well as monitoring the wider motorway network.
“I would also like to reassure the public that we are continuing to work tirelessly to collect evidence to ensure anyone breaking the law is brought to justice. We are aware that a lot of video and dashcam footage was captured and we would like to appeal to people to share this with us as a matter of urgency."
Ch Supt Westerman added: “I would like to thank road users for their patience and understanding over the last two weeks; I appreciate the frustration you feel being caught up in delays, and I want to reassure you we’re doing all we can.
“I would also like to thank our colleagues in other forces and our other partner agencies like National Highways for their continued support.”
If you have any video or dashcam footage, please share it with us to help us to progress our investigation on the link below:
https://unitedkingdom1cpp-portal.digita ... 21-09-2021

You can also contact us on 101, through a private message on our social media channels or the live chat on our website, quoting crime reference number PR/45210099750.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Seen in the news: "Cameron Ford, 31, has been one of the ring leaders of the Extinction Rebellion protests that have repeatedly blocked the M25. But the carpenter from Cambridgeshire is not the eco purist he purports to be - he has been on two globetrotting trips in the last two years, flying to Canada for four months, then driving an old diesel van hundreds of miles around Europe. Today he admitted the trips had not been eco friendly but said: 'We are all hypocrites'
The fossil fuels burned and the resulting carbon emissions generated by Ford’s two trips would have been more than double the entire annual carbon footprint a single person in many countries produces in an entire year. Yet no sooner had he returned from the second trip than he was lecturing others."
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

That's just the nature of the beast.

I love all these eco shows on TV where you see a family living an idyllic life "off grid" getting their water from a bore hole, generating electricity from the waterwheel that runs in their own brook & spending their days whittling eco whatnots from wicker.

The commentary goes on to tell us that if we all lived like this the world would be perfect.

If everyone could afford to buy 40 acres in Surrey for 2 adults and 6 kids to live on, I agree it would be a perfect world. :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.