Government to ban sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs from 2040

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

Government to ban sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs from 2040

Post by mab01uk »

"The government intends to phase out the sale of new diesel and petrol heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) by 2040. A consultation on the plan proposes a 2035 phase out date for vehicles weighing from 3.5 to 26 tonnes and 2040 for vehicles weighing more than 26 tonnes. The phase out of HGVs is part of the government’s Transport decarbonisation plan which was announced today by transport secretary Grant Shapps. The so-called ‘greenprint’ set out ways in which greenhouse gas emissions will be cut from air, sea, road and rail transport in order for the transport sector to reach net zero by 2050."
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/governmen ... -vehicles/
Polarsilver

Re: Government to ban sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs from 2040

Post by Polarsilver »

Me just " Glad to be on the way out & not on the way in " ;)
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Hang on lads, I've got an idea! Use the railways to transport the bulk of the goods to distribution "hubs" and then local environment friendly "small transport vehicles" to distribute the goods. Less diesel or petrol consumed - peeps. No need to increase width of rural roads for lorries!
:lol:
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

hanlminiman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:10 pm Hang on lads, I've got an idea! Use the railways to transport the bulk of the goods to distribution "hubs" and then local environment friendly "small transport vehicles" to distribute the goods. Less diesel or petrol consumed - peeps. No need to increase width of rural roads for lorries!
I thought the same, maybe also, re-instate the branch railways Beeching cut, and run little electric trains…… :lol:
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Isn't that what they're doing thru Warwickshire - the old Beeching Lines?
hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

hanlminiman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:10 pm Hang on lads, I've got an idea! Use the railways to transport the bulk of the goods to distribution "hubs" and then local environment friendly "small transport vehicles" to distribute the goods. Less diesel or petrol consumed - peeps. No need to increase width of rural roads for lorries!
Been done before .Latest was red star/city link.

No national railway doesnt help either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_Parcels

Even newspapers stopped getting delivered by rail.
hanlminiman

Post by hanlminiman »

Newspapers now delivered "on line!"
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Don't all the big trains run on filthy dirty diesel?

Also Amazon ( and Tesco's etc etc) don't have their big distribution hubs near railways.

I can't wait for the lights to go out when all these electric vehicles plug into the mains (what was that, you reckon we will get our power from France)

Ten years ago Blair and Brown advocated diesels, now Shapps and Johnny boy are telling us electric is best. I wonder what Starmer (or his replacement) will be championing in 2031.

PS all this net zero stuff is bullshit. The only way to be net zero is to be buried six feet under. Grim, but true.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Dont worry they have already started the Reduction in HGV Emissions in 2021 .. because there aint enough Drivers for all the Trucks :roll:
goff

Post by goff »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.