Government to ban sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs from 2040

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

Re: Government to ban sale of new diesel and petrol HGVs from 2040

Post by mab01uk »

goff wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:30 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very good! :lol: :lol:
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

it seems to me that there are two "Eco Requirements" which potentially conflict and seemed to of morphed into one.....in the minds of the public and government..

On one side there is the Air quality requirement ie hence electric vehicles, limiting vehicles in Cities, etc .........

Then there is minimising our impact on the environment ie reducing over all CO emissions, stop polluting the oceans with plastic, making and disposing of Lithium-ion batteries etc......

It just seems that the over all joined up calculation of impact on our planet is not being made......and making loads of plastic cars and lorries with Lithium-ion batteries, seems to be the solution....... :?

I know its an over used cliche, but would my impact on the environment and air quality be less if I bought a Mini in 1959, didn't replace it and still ran it as an every day car?
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

I also heard yesterday about zero emissions aircraft being introduced at some point in the future ..

Electric plane flight anyone ... :?
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Meantime "Sir" Richard Branson is doing his rich kid thing .. outer space anyone :roll:
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Andrew1967 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:16 am I also heard yesterday about zero emissions aircraft being introduced at some point in the future ..

Electric plane flight anyone ... :?
Already here........... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48630656

It is zero emissions (air quality), but not likely to be zero environmental impact........ :?