Telephone boxs

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
nick@dunsdale

Telephone boxs

Post by nick@dunsdale »

Very random post :lol: :lol:

Read this link this morning and was surprised to read that the peak of active phone box's was in 1992

I would have bet my house that it was earlier than that ;)

Anybody ever seen the K1 model in the flesh

https://business.bt.com/insights/ip-tec ... 8402034438
The best repairs go un-noticed
goff

Re: Telephone boxs

Post by goff »

I have a K2 , partly restored including the pyramid phone and coin box , will i ever finish it , very doubtful as i have owned it since early 90s , i also have full size George V1 letterbox just needs blasting and painting , K2 around £12,000 restored + , letterbox £4000 restored , London daft prices.

Goff
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

goff wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:37 pm
K2 around £12,000 restored + , letterbox £4000 restored , London daft prices.

Goff
:shock: :shock: Really wow
The best repairs go un-noticed
Oneball

Post by Oneball »

nick@dunsdale wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:10 pm Very random post :lol: :lol:

Read this link this morning and was surprised to read that the peak of active phone box's was in 1992

Yep, there’s a K1 at Avoncroft museum near Bromsgrove
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I exported a K6 (?) type box to a pommy friend of mine Tasmania in the 90's. Got it in used condition direct from the Reading Telecom depot. They stripped it, laid it flat and banded it to a couple of pallets. They also included (cash..., for the price of a beer or two.....) a big load of spare glass, glass retainers, brass bead rivet things etc etc and a load of other stuff for good measure.
goff

Post by goff »

Oneball wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:57 pm
nick@dunsdale wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:10 pm Very random post :lol: :lol:

Yep, there’s a K1 at Avoncroft museum near Bromsgrove
Is that the BT/ post office museum oneball , they will have a K1 , i had the chance to buy a K2 with stamp machine in the rear , quite a large kiosk it had some damage , that went to the BT/ post office museum , I should have bought it !!! local to me also , worth a fortune today and very rare, me and a friend bought some letter boxes from the post office including full size one with a stamp machine in the rear we paid £500 for this one and the rest were cheap though it was in one of there depots close to me, we sold straight away to a dealer in Cambridgeshire for £1500 and he sold it to a customer for £2300 within a few days .

Nick google K2 telephone boxes , mainly fitted in London only , again very rare and are a nice box that is why they command daft money
Oneball

Post by Oneball »

Avoncroft is a museum of buildings if that makes sense. It also houses the National Telephone Box Collection, I’m not sure who actually owns it though. You used to be able to make calls from the boxes using the correct coins depending on age.

https://www.communicationsmuseum.org.uk/avoncroft/
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

I LOVE a Shire book (the thin, small books you often see on a revolving drum in gift shops in museums etc), and make a point of buying a few each year on holiday so I can learn all about something random, often architectural, like Art Deco Cinemas, corrugated buildings, or stuff like scalextric, farm implements, victorian tiles..... etc.

Last year I bought one about old phone boxes. It was, as I'd hoped, oddly fascinating! Now I want a K6 for the garden, but doesn't everyone?

Al
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

Local ones have been rebranded due to an aged population. Now called Defribulattor.
'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

A mate of mine was raised in Kirkintilloch and is understandably proud of his heritage. So much so that when we are out walking he can often be seen grovelling behind a K6 or post box trying to get a glimpse of the famous Kirky Lion foundry mark so he can report back to the website dedicated to such sightings. Can be embarrassing at times!