The used motors that kept their value best over the past three years

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

The used motors that kept their value best over the past three years

Post by mab01uk »

"This is Money has exclusively teamed up with CAP HPI to reveal the used cars holding their value best.
Data is based on the value of a 3-year-old car in 2018 with an average of 36,000 miles on the clock.
The value is then compared to what the model is worth today with 72,000 miles showing on the odometer.
We have also listed the fastest-depreciating cars during the same period and with a similar mileage increase."
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... EALED.html
Pete

Re: The used motors that kept their value best over the past three years

Post by Pete »

I suspect those VW vans will drop like a stone when the pandemic restrictions on overseas travel ease.
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

Pete wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:16 am I suspect those VW vans will drop like a stone when the pandemic restrictions on overseas travel ease.
They may drop a bit but T5's have always held incredible values

I had one for 8 years bought it as salvage used it for 8 years and sold it £400 under what i paid for it
That didnt inculde any parts just the purchase price
The best repairs go un-noticed
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

It is partly people's perceptions of the VW brand as a good reliable product isn't it? It is interesting to compare the performance of the VW Caddy Life which is a fairly basic MPV actually GAINING value at the same time as a Ford Galaxy MPV losing more than half of its value! Does that make any sense on a purely practical level?

The only time in recent years that I have made money on any modern secondhand car was after 3 years ownership of a Porsche Boxster, so it is interesting to see that model listed as losing relatively little. Sometimes, cars which might seem extravagant depreciate much more slowly than the more mundane stuff because they retain some desirability.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

I have to say, I usually view 'modern' used cars as entirely sacrificial, and just accept that by the time I'm done with them I'll trade them in for next to nothing to avoid the hassle of a private sale. by the time you get to 10 yrs old / 100k miles, they really have next to no value. I tend to buy them at about 8 years old and somewhere around £3-4k, so pretty well down the depreciation rollercoaster.

But I have just had to have a head gasket done on my R55 Clubman and it left pennies change out a grand! So that'll be getting changed fairly soon, but I want some use out it first! - it's been by FAR the most expensive modern I've had in terms of parts and (un)reliability.

However, the only time I 'made' money on one was when a young lad ran into the back of my Skoda Vroomster and wrote it off. A wee bit of haggling with the insurers and I got them to give me about £500 more than I'd paid for it about 3 years before! result!!!!

I recon I'm going for a Volvo next, as I can't get a Saab any more.

Al