Tyre Pressures

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Old English White

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by Old English White »

I still use an old fashioned pencil type gauge and find it most accurate ;)
Mini Mad Swede

Post by Mini Mad Swede »

A question for the original poster:
If one tyre would have to low pressure can that cause the car to slow down or even shut down completely?

Was told that Audi will shut down if a tyre hasnt been topped ut within 30 kilometers/20 miles after first warning, if THAT IS true then the tech in our cars have gone way to far.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Mini Mad Swede wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm A question for the original poster:
If one tyre would have to low pressure can that cause the car to slow down or even shut down completely?

Was told that Audi will shut down if a tyre hasnt been topped ut within 30 kilometers/20 miles after first warning, if THAT IS true then the tech in our cars have gone way to far.
Not as far as I am aware, if it's a bit low it just keeps warning you, whether it would refuse to start/drive or insist on stopping if the pressure fell too low I don't know. Time to RTFM (read the f*?>@! manual) - I will report back ;)
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

In the late 70's, as the engineer in a ModSports team, an AVON rep, seeing that we were racing on Avons, came over to us and started chatting. We didn't tell him that our tyres were all part worn/used from a Formula team in Reading of course. He gave me a sooper-dooper accurate dial readout gauge in a leather pouch. I used to have it calibrated annually when I had the facility, but just use it as-is now. Apparently the worst thing you can do is to leave the gauge (or ANY gauge) rattling around in the bottom of your tool box!

My wife's Gofl GTi has a yellow tyre display the seems to come on and off as it pleases
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

IslandBlue wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 pm
Mini Mad Swede wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm A question for the original poster:

Not as far as I am aware, if it's a bit low it just keeps warning you, whether it would refuse to start/drive or insist on stopping if the pressure fell too low I don't know. Time to RTFM (read the f*?>@! manual) - I will report back ;)
Well this evening the car announced that pressure was too low and that I should not exceed 80mph!! I measured the offending tyre and the reading was 24psi (s/be 33) so I don't think that driving at 80mph would have been very clever.

Having read the manual there's nothing to suggest the car might stop or refuse to drive.
IslandBlue

Re: Tyre Pressures & TPMS

Post by IslandBlue »

Here's a supplementary gripe regarding the tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) fitted to modern cars.

The sophisticated modern versions that actually read the pressure (as opposed to simply warning that a tyre is deflated) use a battery powered sensor in each valve assembly. This piece of modern nannying genius is prone to various problems as the valve ages and even if the sensor last until the batteries die (5-10 years possibly) you then have to replace the entire sensor which could cost as much as a new tyre!!

Tyre service centre also offer "servicing" of the TPMS valves when changing tyres - "We can replace important components, including the TPMS core, rubber grommet and valve retaining nut, so they continue to provide an air-tight seal". It also seems that even if the batteries aren't dead the valve components can corrode reducing their life or causing them to fail during tyre changes.

The joys of modern motors...
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Why do i need Tyre Monitoring displayed on a Modern other than to provide another worry for your Wife when she is the lone driver ( maybe its a a good thing on a F1 Car given last weekend performance) :roll:
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

My early R50 MINI and our BMW 320D E90 have the earlier system that only warns that a tyre is deflated (usually when traveling down a motorway).....I continue to the next exit at reduced speed if the car feels ok, stop somewhere safe and check the tyres. In all cases so far it has been a very small drop in pressure in one tyre rather than a puncture. The system then has to be re-initialised after correcting the problem, both cars originally had run flat tyres but are now fitted with normal tyres and a spare.
UHR850

Post by UHR850 »

Two of mine, an oldy and a newer one :roll:

Kees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.