Smart motorways in the news again....

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1coopers

Re: Smart motorways in the news again....

Post by mk1coopers »

Well after being hit from behind last night when I stopped on a 'ALR / Smart' Motorway due to the cars and truck in front of me having a accident it's only reinforced to me that having no hard shoulder is a very bad idea, fortunately I was in my daily car not a Mini so that's the positive I'm taking out of this :roll:
swifty

Post by swifty »

Glad your ok . It's gonna unfortunately take a whole family to get wiped out before common sense prevails. It's just to save on money and squeeze a extra lane . It's probably been calculated how much would be paid in compensation vs widening the road to get a extra lane / speed of traffic in existing . ... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

Thanks Ken, I got away lightly I think, it's just annoying when you are next to a metal barrier with no where to go and you are looking in your mirror watching the car behind losing its battle with stopping in time, with a hard shoulder available I would have had somewhere to go (traffic running normally on the off-side, if I'd gone that way I could have punted someone into a spin), with the speed this all happened no amount of sensors or cctv could have reacted to close the lane, it's not like there is a sign above every part of the motorway to warn you anyway.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

mk1coopers wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:37 pm Well after being hit from behind last night when I stopped on a 'ALR / Smart' Motorway due to the cars and truck in front of me having a accident it's only reinforced to me that having no hard shoulder is a very bad idea, fortunately I was in my daily car not a Mini so that's the positive I'm taking out of this :roll:
God bet that was a shock, glad you ok.
Makes you wonder if Highways England have CCTV footage, and if so what they will do with it - and who will se the report of what happened. Its just mad, makes you wonder what would have to happen for HE to wake up......
Our local stretch of the M4 was due to open as a fully smart motorway a few months ago, its noticible that cones are still there, effectively creating a hard shoulder...... maybe they have realised their mistake.... :mrgreen:
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

After driving back down the same stretch today I counted 6 separate sets of black tyre lines, including one that hit the barrier!, so there has clearly been more than one incident there, this is another one that’s partially finished so hopefully they will adopt the coned off lane until the review is done
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

A Mail reporter spent six weeks under cover at a smart motorway control room and discovered some alarming problems... :shock:

One in four cameras on junction 34 of the M1 near Sheffield, where there has been a spate of fatalities, were broken or facing the wrong way on September 17;
One in four cameras were broken or obscured on the smart motorway section of the M3 in Surrey the same day;
The software used to close lanes went down several times in the six weeks the reporter worked at one of six regional control rooms;
Bosses admitted in internal emails that there were CCTV ‘blackspots’ on the M25;
In one control room staff reported an average of almost two CCTV and technological failures every day for 2020;
Faulty and outdated hardware including CCTV boxes from 2004, are in use, making it hard for operators to locate stranded vehicles;
Workers said smart motorways were a ‘scam’ and warned there were not enough emergency bays or signal gantries;
A systems failure during our reporter’s first shift saw staff unable to implement vital lane closures or change mandatory speed limits until more than 30 minutes had passed;
Another, struggling with outdated technology, said: ‘We’ve got a lot of faulty c***.’
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rking.html
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

RAC - Majority of drivers think all-lane-running smart motorways should be scrapped.
"Six in 10 drivers (62%) think that all-lane-running smart motorway schemes should be scrapped entirely and the hard shoulder reinstated, while retaining the technology that manages traffic flows and detects breakdowns, according to research carried out for the RAC Report on Motoring 2021.
The Government is therefore faced with a difficult choice between continuing to roll out unpopular all-lane-running motorways very much against drivers’ wishes or reinstating the hard shoulder, effectively creating three-lane ‘controlled motorways’ which would have the benefit of improved safety features but with less overall capacity.
The RAC, however, believes there’s a third option worth considering which provides increased capacity without adversely compromising safety. Rather than simply scrapping dynamic hard shoulder schemes, which only open the hard shoulder to traffic at busy times of the day, these schemes could be made the new standard as they still offer somewhere to stop away from live traffic in the event of a breakdown during quieter times, while still accommodating more traffic at busy times. They have also demonstrated very good levels of safety. What’s more, all the technology that’s been installed for all-lane-running would continue to be of valuable use, making dynamic hard shoulder schemes even safer.
Arguably, all that would be needed is to repaint the sold white hard shoulder line and potentially some additional gantry signs. We would also like to see the ‘red X’ closed-lane symbol illuminated whenever the hard shoulder is not being used as a running lane alongside variable message signs indicating the hard shoulder is for emergency use only so drivers clearly know it’s not in use. That way there is no confusion and anyone who has to stop due to a breakdown or incident is likely to be better protected.”
https://media.rac.co.uk/pressreleases/m ... ed-3128388