1961 Volvo 122S

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
JC T ONE

1961 Volvo 122S

Post by JC T ONE »

Hi all

its been a long time.

Health - work - fake flu (c19) etc etc took time from me.

Anyway = back to business -- I bought another car :roll: :oops:

First time I saved it from being sold as parts 5 years ago.

The owner had bought it 18 years ago (in Sweden) and taken it to Denmark.

He wanted to get it fixed up for MOT, and use it.

The mechanic that was suppose to help him, said it was a piece of junk, so the owner got very dissapointed & put it in a garage, and locked the door.

18 years later he lost the right to use the garage, and put the car up for sale, as spares on fb -- all the Voltures soon jumped on him to buy parts from it.
but I saw more than them = a hole in the dashboard above the lighter & fan switch, and one more in the steering columm schroud.
This coupled with the fact that it had twin SU,s made me ask for a picture of the tag plate.
Sure enough she was a genuine 12235 = 122 Sport (B18D) with factory fitted overdrive by Laycock de Normanville, and not only that = she was a early one too = October 1961. Registred with her first owner in November that same year.

The car was completely rustfree, and the brakes wasnt rusted solid, so I made him a offer to get the car fixed, and MOT,ed.

After it got plates on he lost interest again, and left the car on a public road (unlocked) for 2 years - he then called me, and said he wanted to sell the car, because some guy wanted it, and use it as dayli driver untill its MOT expired.
I then jumped in, and bought the poor old car.

Soon after I got her the fauchi flu hit us, and I started fixing things on her, this lead me to removing the rear axle, as one of the trailing arms were wrong + various other faults.

Then I got ill (blood cloths in the brain - frozen shoulder etc) so she was left sitting on the lift.

Now with light at the end of the tunnel, I hope to get her back together again.

Jens Christian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: 1961 Volvo 122S

Post by mk1 »

Good to see you back Jen!

I hope your troubles are behind you now.

Looks like a very interesting project!

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

I’m sure many members will be pleased to see you’re back
Looks a worthwhile project 👍
Would make a interesting historic rally car 😊
I had a couple of customers with them a few years ago
Always liked them, good to drive
JC T ONE

Post by JC T ONE »

mk1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:12 am Good to see you back Jen!

I hope your troubles are behind you now.

Looks like a very interesting project!

M
Thanks Mark,

and yes so do I.

Yes it sure is, when the B16 was replaced by the first B18 model, Volvo also made several changes to the 122S model.

The B16 only had drums on all 4 wheel,s on both std and S, but with the arrival of the stronger B18 they opted for a disc brake conversion,
But only on the 122S model, it was the same type as on the early P1800 - later they changed to a std type, that all models got after 65.

The early 122S / B18D was only available as 4 doors, the cheaper 2 door was only B18A untill spring/summer 62.

Apart from this are other quirky details, that are only found on the early 122S/B18D.

Jens Christian
Last edited by JC T ONE on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JC T ONE

Post by JC T ONE »

JohnA wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:37 am I’m sure many members will be pleased to see you’re back
Looks a worthwhile project 👍
Would make a interesting historic rally car 😊
I had a couple of customers with them a few years ago
Always liked them, good to drive
Thanks John,

Yes its a nice project, but parts are rare.

Dont tempt me - ;) nahh - she still has her original engine, so she will live a relaxed life in my care.

Yes, and very silent, if they still have the original floor mats, and sound insulation for bulkhead.

All 5 badges missing - only 2 letters left on the bonnet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JC T ONE

Post by JC T ONE »

Update on the 61.

Gearbox & propshaft now fitted, together with a few new brakelines + new brakehoses all around.

Changed the oil on the engine too + new genuine filter.

She wasnt easy to get going - the diaphrame in the pump was a bit stiff, so even thou I sucked fuel through several times, it didnt start pumping, untill it had sat with fuel in it for 15 min.

The test showed 2 things = overdrive works -- but it seems to have a noise in 4th gear --
Normally this comes from the bottom shaft, but it had no play in either direction, and the gearbox was very clean everywere, with fresh gaskets.
The filter & magnets in overdrive also very clean, hence why I took the chance & fitted it.
Well I will see what happens when I take her on the road after the weekend, as she is not registred yet, so only tested her on the lift.

Jens Christian