VW vans

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Pete

VW vans

Post by Pete »

One thing I noticed at Blyton is how many of you had VW T5 / T6 vans! I’ve just got one and might need a few tips. Sick of slumming it in the work Transit van but my 2016 T6 probably won’t tow aswell! Got a few issues to sort already like the touch screen is dicky and I’ll have a clutch to do soon, albeit I got it for reasonable money and factored this in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wantafaster1

Re: VW vans

Post by wantafaster1 »

Hello Pete
Well, ive got a damaged repaired one, cheap way for me into owning one. 2012, currently on 162k miles. Just did a trip to the mainland with tools, 2 compressors, a complete engine and box unit, 3 more boxes, averaged 41.3 MPG, remapped 5 speed version.
Carries a motorbike, can pull caravan or car transporter.

I've got slightly bigger wheels but haven't lowered it, I live quite rural.

Just go to your VW dealer for oil and filters.

I prefer driving it to the car.

Downside to ownership is the prices constantly going up, I think I'd need another 10 grand on top of what I paid to get another 7 year old one now.

Can't really help with interior conversions and things, you can buy kits online cheap enough but wiring and plumbing and heating would be beyond me, but if you knew people who could do that stuff you'd be flying.

Regards Jeff

PS why do you think it won't tow like a transit?
Lakeland997

Post by Lakeland997 »

If you need more oomph for towing then I can recommend Martin at Pendle Performance in Barnoldswick.
In my case, 148 to 176 HP and 20% more torque for about the price of a Swiftune camshaft kit.

Andy
Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning.
surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

Is it as much of a faff to get to the oil filter on a T6 as it is on a T5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STNJSqGGDW8

After watching Edd Chinas escapades with his T5, I think I would go for a good old Transit (Tourneo) if I was in the market for a van. All this modern electronics is great when the vehicles are new, but trying to track down the faults when they get older is becoming more of a nightmare, and do all these gizmos actually get you to where you want to go?

:?:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Can't beat my big old Transit. Comfiest vehicle I have ever slept in when I don't need to share.

It's been to the moon & back, but I still love it :)
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

I've had mine for 10years now :shock:

They are great it becomes a bit of an obsession I bought it to tow the mini round and for a good while it diverted all of my attention away from the minis... I've now come back round to some sense..

Some won't like the way it looks but it's exactly how I want it... Ride is perfect drives better than most cars (but Blyton entrance road is a nightmare) and rides even better towing the trailer

One thing I've noticed is how popular (common) these have now become I used to be in a minority (as far as VWs go) now it's the vast majority... I even had abuse from old school owners that have since bought them

As for reliability go find a 2007 transit and see how well it's doing ps it's already been scrapped
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Post by Pete »

My Transit’s a bloody rocket ship. Trouble is I have to empty the fecker every time I want it for an event / towing and it gets pretty grubby aswell. The T6 is a 16 plate, Euro 6, 90k miles and will replace my car I think. Already has a camper conversion. Just so much more versatile than the car but yes comes with the added VW tax but then it also does if/when you sell so no loss really. Needs mapping and a tow bar and should be good to go. Anything to look out for with these?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Oh and going off the last VW T2 van I owned you have to wave at them all and as you say there’s fekin millions of em now!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I wasn't knocking any other vans, I was just saying I love my Tranny.

Dangerous claim nowadays :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

Tow bars can be complicated on modern cars.. PF Jones are the guys to go to..

Transits Vs transporters is the Holden Vs Ford in Australia :lol: