Daimler Dart discovered...

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Peter Laidler

Re: Daimler Dart discovered...

Post by Peter Laidler »

I remember that my friend Ray's Dart would not keep a gloss shine on the paintwork, even taking it back down to the fibre glass shell and sealing it. Better paints nowadays of course. But I wonder........ Or was it an inherent part of the construction from fibreglass?
1071 S

Post by 1071 S »

Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:40 pm I remember that my friend Ray's Dart would not keep a gloss shine on the paintwork, even taking it back down to the fibre glass shell and sealing it. Better paints nowadays of course. But I wonder........ Or was it an inherent part of the construction from fibreglass?
A lot of Corvettes are pretty shiney.... don’t think its a ‘glass problem.

Cheers, Ian
agricola

Post by agricola »

basically the car was rushed as there had been a huge falling out when Docker was removed from the board. The chassis was a stretched TR3 and flexed so much on the early cars the doors would open on the move. As to body quality I always assumed pretty solid? The best kept was the big 4.5 v8. Ignored because it only gave 220bhp. But that was because the Daimler dyno maxed out at 220! 270 is nearer the mark with a throttled inlet system. Even so put a 2 tonne auto Majestic Major v8 against a 1.5 tonne automatic etype and it would out drag it to 60mph!