DVLA auto updates Cat BE onto your Licence

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Polarsilver

DVLA auto updates Cat BE onto your Licence

Post by Polarsilver »

UK Driving Licence Legislation Change from 16/12/21 .. any UK Full Car Driving Licence that does Not have Cat; BE ( Allowing Car Driver to Tow Trailer or Caravan up to 3500kg) this Cat; BE will automatic be applied to your Licence from 16/12/21 & will then be DVLA updated the next time you apply to renew your Driving Licence .. (excepting Northern Ireland.)

If you passed your UK Car Driving Test before 1/1/1997 .. you already have the Cat BE Trailer Towing Capability already. ;)
mk1
Site Admin

Re: DVLA auto updates Cat BE onto your Licence

Post by mk1 »

This is the best thing that has happened EVER for Adam. He kept putting off doing his trailer test because of the expense. Now he will never have to do it.

£1500 saved :D
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

This change was apparently made re; shortage of UK Lorry Drivers etc; ..but this does not help those in Northern Ireland :roll:
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

It's a joke, why not scrap all driving tests...

It was done purely to increase the capacity at test centers... Meanwhile loads of driving instructors are having to sell off their trailers and tow vehicle to go back to regular instructing

It's just like smart motorways... Government saving money at the cost of a few hundred extra deaths a year on the roads..
Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

Love to see someone without knowledge use/reverse a trailer. :roll:
Pedromintor

Post by Pedromintor »

There was ways round towing a trailer with the old licence and no trailer test.

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

So providing the weight of trailer and classic mini and car you was pulling it did not go over 3500kg you was fine.

Look it it this way
I tow with my family car but would of prefered to have a 4x4 and trailer . which would push me over 3500kg . Cost of the trailer test etc.

How much safer is it going to be now that people can now tow with 4x4 and not have to worry about taking a trailer test ?
im sure there is loads of people like me trying to keep below 3500kg with there family car.
which less face it its not ideal towing with a standard family car ?

I think its a good idea and will be safer .