Jaguar MK2 3.8 Development Car (First 3.8 Built)

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Homersimpson

Jaguar MK2 3.8 Development Car (First 3.8 Built)

Post by Homersimpson »

I'm afraid its not a mini, I do have a 1965 MK1 Traveller which I am planning to restore at some point.

This is my 1959 Jaguar MK2 3.8, it was the first one built and it was originally built LHD but was converted to RHD at the factory (this is recorded in the original build records at Gaydon and is on the heritage certificate from JDHT).

The car was allocated to Claude Baily of Jaguar Cars and used for development purposes until 1961 when the records end, it may have been his personal car as it was registed 203HP in 1960 whereas I understand that they generally ran development cars on trade plates.

The main thing they were doing with it was trying to stop oil pouring out of the engine!

I'm also restoring a much less exciting 1967 2.4 MK2 although this one was a super lightweight version on the basis that nature had reclaimed most of the bottom 6 inches of the car!

This was it after I painted it.

Oneball

Re: Jaguar MK2 3.8 Development Car (First 3.8 Built)

Post by Oneball »

The grey one looks really narrow at the rear. Has it got a mk1 axle?
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Welcome! Very nice MK2's! 8-)

Out of interest do any Vortz modified and race prepared Jaguar MK2's survive?

"Vortz Racing Cars was officially registered in 1965 by a young 17 year old self taught design engineer by the name of Nick Vrotsos. From 1965 to approximately 1974, Vortz modified and race prepared Jaguar Mk2's, E Type's and all XK engines as well as manufacturing the Vortz Jaguar 3.8 GT2 saloon 1967 to 1972. They produced cams, heads, fuel injection kits, wheels and more. They also prepared Mini's Spridgets Imps Healey's MGC's and many others in that same period, and that was exactly the type of business it was intended to be, although these cars were never completely phased out from the customer, it was from 1974 that this type of car was as far as racing is concerned draining back, but not with the Mini, with the Mini, Vortz ended up far more than just a race engineering shop, it did in fact turn into a minor car manufacturer, and in doing so left it's biggest legacy, the rebirth production of the original Mini Cooper brand. It was the only company ever to use anther company's car silhouette and register it as its own manufactured."
Jaguar Mk2. Vortz The Wild Card Book:-
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -421145027
Homersimpson

Post by Homersimpson »

Oneball wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 pm The grey one looks really narrow at the rear. Has it got a mk1 axle?
I don't think so, the MK1 axle is really narrow if fitted to a MK2 incorrectly, the blue one has wide tyres on the rear which make it look wider although the tyres are probably 30 years old + and won't be going back on the road (ok to roll the shell around on though :) ).
Homersimpson

Post by Homersimpson »

mab01uk wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:28 pm Welcome! Very nice MK2's! 8-)

Out of interest do any Vortz modified and race prepared Jaguar MK2's survive?

"Vortz Racing Cars was officially registered in 1965 by a young 17 year old self taught design engineer by the name of Nick Vrotsos. From 1965 to approximately 1974, Vortz modified and race prepared Jaguar Mk2's, E Type's and all XK engines as well as manufacturing the Vortz Jaguar 3.8 GT2 saloon 1967 to 1972. They produced cams, heads, fuel injection kits, wheels and more. They also prepared Mini's Spridgets Imps Healey's MGC's and many others in that same period, and that was exactly the type of business it was intended to be, although these cars were never completely phased out from the customer, it was from 1974 that this type of car was as far as racing is concerned draining back, but not with the Mini, with the Mini, Vortz ended up far more than just a race engineering shop, it did in fact turn into a minor car manufacturer, and in doing so left it's biggest legacy, the rebirth production of the original Mini Cooper brand. It was the only company ever to use anther company's car silhouette and register it as its own manufactured."
Jaguar Mk2. Vortz The Wild Card Book:-
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -421145027
Its not one i've heard of i'm afraid so if anything has survived its not hugely publisised like most of the more famous cars are (for example Coombes cars).