Best Large BMC Saloons?

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
mab01uk

Best Large BMC Saloons?

Post by mab01uk »

"The British Motor Corporation found itself with an array of large cars in 1952 – and by the start of the British Leyland era in 1968, the last big Austin was entering production. Here are some favourite large BMC saloons."
https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/best-bmc-saloons/
wantafaster1

Re: Best Large BMC Saloons?

Post by wantafaster1 »

I like the Austin 3 litres actually. I don't believe I've ever seen one in the flesh.
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

Good car the Austin 3 litre from what I remember whilst apprentice at a BMC dealership in the 60s
Interesting self levelling hydrolastic suspension
Shared its doors with the Maxi and 1800
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

The Pathfinder was the car BMC should have concentrated on as opposed to the FWD stuff. Palmer was developing the straight six twin cam C Series and the MGA Twin Cam was due to be fitted to the Z Magnette. Alas it was left underdeveloped after he left BMC and had problems before being discontinued.
Issigonis was undoubtedly clever, but so was Gerald Palmer who was also no mean stylist.
hanlminiman
Location: North Cotswolds, close to Prescott & Shelsley Walsh hill climb venues by Stratford upon Avon UK and

Post by hanlminiman »

BMC Comps dept - service barge. :D
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Austin A90 , A105 worth a look with straight 6 C series, A105 had twin carbs I think………..might be wrong
Ernst Blofeld

Post by Ernst Blofeld »

I have a thing for the 3-Litre.

The front end styling was a bit of an eyesore, but I’m no oil painting either. When I was a kid I was always surprised that they were so popular as taxis in New York. Then I realised the awful truth: BMC had designed a luxury car that looked like a Checker.

There’s a Wolseley prototype that actually looks good. After the Leyland takeover the new brooms toyed with plumbing in the Rover V8 which made a very nice car by all accounts. Like so many nice cars they played with, they never got round to making it available to the public. Shame.

I do have a thing for the Pathfinder as well and couldn’t agree more that getting rid of Gerald Palmer was a big mistake.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

I have a huge soft spot for the MG Magnette. My pal's dad has one tucked away that we last used to go to one of the very first revivals. 4 up, first time it had been used in YEARS and we ragged it all the way down the country, and it was brilliant, never missed a beat! Have loved them ever since.

Al