Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
Bitsilly

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by Bitsilly »

I was in the same boat.
Once you buy 4 donuts, it’s less than £100 to buy mick millers conversion, which I think is a CV joint at each end.
Speaking to his wife Sue, they have never had any complaints of diff damage or anything.
I have never driven either but didn’t fancy donuts.
If you fancy another 7,543 opinions pop over to elan.net!
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Ps can’t remember if you have the old prop shafts, if not it will be cheaper to’upgrade’.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Bitsilly wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:19 pm I was in the same boat.
Once you buy 4 donuts, it’s less than £100 to buy mick millers conversion, which I think is a CV joint at each end.
Speaking to his wife Sue, they have never had any complaints of diff damage or anything.
I have never driven either but didn’t fancy donuts.
If you fancy another 7,543 opinions pop over to elan.net!
How much is the Mick Miller setup ?. Four doughnuts and a set of bolts will be £440. I already have a pair of doughnut shafts I bought when I originally set out to convert to OEM. I can sell these on if I go for a CV shaft arrangement depending on the cost.
It's £715 for a pair of TTR solid (UJ) shafts from SJS, interested to know how much the Miller shafts are.
Spoke with Sue, £640 delivered for a pair of CV shafts. I need to ponder on this now . Reliability vs originality.
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

said I have no experience of either but how much effect can a bit of rubber flexing give!
My decision was actually based on going for simplicity as there are 3,posts on the awkwardness of the rotoflex servicing although few seem to actually try and change them.
A little knowledge is enough to explode your brain if you are anything like me, so as I get along with sue and found her honest I went with what she recommended, and if you know her history I think she would know her stuff.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

As always there will be those who sing the praises of both. It's like the 7" disc brakes on the Cooper, well known for being not that good but I find them adequate for the performance of the car so retained them. However in this case, given the well documented poor quality of elastomeric parts these days I think it's a no brainer to go for a CV arrangement so that's the plan now. I've just finished rebushing the rear A frames but still waiting on my hub carriers to be weld repaired so at a bit of a stand still with the rear end. I've ordered tons of parts from Sue so I know she is the right person to deal with. If you are looking for parts, I have a good contact from Elan.net who has lots of stuff, he supplied me with NOS Armstrong rear strut inserts for example so if you're after OEM parts as opposed to reproduction he usually has something available.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Finally got the rear undercarriage back on, this proved to be one of the more difficult jobs as the new bushes were longer than the old ones so wouldn't fit between the chassis lugs. Much swearing and sweat resulted in them going in eventually, I hope they don't need to be done again any time soon !. Now stuck waiting for the hubs to be repaired. Thankfully the tank is fine, like new inside so must have been replaced not too long ago despite the external appearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

While still waiting for the rear hubs to be repaired (made the mistake of saying I wasn't in a rush) all I can do are the jobs I've been putting off, ie. scraping the crud from the chassis and floorpan. Chassis now painted and about to stone chip the floor. Once I find an undamaged diff cover I can reassemble the diff and get it back into position, something I'm not looking forward to as it was a tight b*****d to get out.
Some nice new expensive shiny bits have just arrived too. On a diet, no more doughnuts for me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Progress has been slow, still waiting for the rear alloy hub carriers to be welded and was waiting for a replacement alloy diff cover that I now have so diff now reassembled with new bearings and seals and back on the car. I turned my attention to the modified electrically operated headlight mechanism. Mazda MX5 motors are commonly used however mine has a Lucas motor dated 1977 so could be from a TR7 or one of the other 70s Lotus models so i think I'll tidy this up and use it as it's more "period" perhaps. A bonus is that the manual override can be accessed through a hole on the underside of the body with a socket which is handy should the motor fail (1970's Lucas, high probability).
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

After waiting for ages to have the rear hub carriers weld repaired I finally got them back last week so was able to carry on with the rear end rebuild. New struts and springs, CV jointed drive shafts, discs, bearings/seals etc. Rear calipers next and the "apparently" awful handbrake mechanism.
WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

Beautiful car Robin and impressive work going into it - always liked the Elan +2 and was looking at buying one last year but prices for really good ones were on the rise and just out of reach at the time.

This photo of yours in particular shows what a cracking piece of industrial design it still is....

LOTUS ELAN +2 Screenshot 2022-05-04 151543.jpg
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

1992 Maserati Biturbo 430 2.8 litre V6