Bit of a departure from the norm for me

The Home of any non Mini projects & discussion.
111Robin

Re: Bit of a departure from the norm for me

Post by 111Robin »

I was actually looking for a Plus 2 when I bought the Scimitar that just happened to be local so was convenient and something I was curious about. This car is still relatively local, there are plenty out there but mostly with dealers and prices are too high for me so when this popped up and was realistically priced I took the plunge. Two previous owners from new and as I said has already had the chassis replaced and the bodywork restored a few years ago so just needs a thorough mechanical overhaul from years of not being used. Parts availability and prices seem pretty good from what I've gleaned so far so shouldn't cost a ridiculous amount to bring up to scratch (apart from steering wheels with the Chapman signature that seem to demand crazy money). So I'm sorted now for a winter project, once again happy as a pig in s**t :)

ImageScreenshot 2021-11-01 081054 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot 2021-11-01 081037 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot 2021-11-01 081016 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

Beautiful. They really haven't dated that much in my view. A lovely clean design.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I totally agree with OEW, a classic design that has aged very well indeed. Much more practical that the std Elan too.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Personally I think the plus 2 looks better (shoot me down), from certain angles anyway. I guess any "plus 2" version of a proven design (eg. E-type) is always seen as the poor relation (although the E-type +2 does look a bit odd with the taller windscreen).
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Lovely. And it sounds like all the bits you'll be playing with are Triumph :lol:

Trunions, trying to work out which Standard product's brake callipers your car has, of course there will be the Imp Rotoflex couplings..... To be honest, the reliable bits of those cars are the Lotus bits!

What a nice thing to play with over the winter and enjoy in the spring. And yes, very under rated / valued compared to their 'wee brother'.

I'd love one

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Pandora wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:59 pm Lovely. And it sounds like all the bits you'll be playing with are Triumph :lol:

Trunions, trying to work out which Standard product's brake callipers your car has, of course there will be the Imp Rotoflex couplings..... To be honest, the reliable bits of those cars are the Lotus bits!

What a nice thing to play with over the winter and enjoy in the spring. And yes, very under rated / valued compared to their 'wee brother'.

I'd love one

Al
Correct Al, TR4 front suspension (presumably) as per the Scimitar. The Rotoflex couplings have already been dispensed with for UJs, not sure how good this setup will be compared with CV joints but I'll see how it feels on the road before making any decisions. I've already sort of convinced myself that a new wiring harness will be a good idea otherwise I could be chasing dodgy earth connections forever. I was contemplating body off so I can refinish the chassis properly but I think that will be bottom of the list, for this winter anyway.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Front end is the smaller Triumph's, a mix of Spitfire / GT6, same as TVR, Ginetta, and half of the Formula Junior grid (and F1 up to about 1962). I THINK the +2 is mainly GT6 with the bigger callipers. From memory, one of the differences is if the calliper mounts are cast as part of the (A&A) upright (GT6), as opposed to a bolt on bracket (Herald /Spitfire)

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Pandora wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:19 pm Front end is the smaller Triumph's, a mix of Spitfire / GT6, same as TVR, Ginetta, and half of the Formula Junior grid (and F1 up to about 1962). I THINK the +2 is mainly GT6 with the bigger callipers. From memory, one of the differences is if the calliper mounts are cast as part of the (A&A) upright (GT6), as opposed to a bolt on bracket (Herald /Spitfire)

Al
Thanks Al, lots to learn.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

If anyone else wants to take up the fun game of 'Spot the Herald Upright' in the racing paddocks of the World, here's the background: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... er-upright

Note that the brass trunnion needs oil as a lubricant, not grease. My Pal's TVR (lubricated correctly, I must add) sheared a trunnion on the M6 once, and the inside lane became lubricated in oil as the sump hit the tarmac! I think some of the racier users replace the lower trunnion with a rosejoint, but in road use the original design is actually very simple and effective with decent maintenance

Al
111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Very interesting Al thanks.
One of the trunions on the Scimitar was seized solid on the lower wishbone pivot, I imagine that would have resulted in over stressing the upright where it enters the trunion as the suspension was compressed. Nothing to do with the lubrication of the trunion thread, this was completely free. A common modification is to drill and tap the wishbone for grease nipples to ensure the throughbolt doesn't seize in the bushes. I can certainly see if left for long periods wet that it would tend to seize so something to be wary of and I will be paying attention to this when I rebuild the suspension.